Chikane reports 'inaccurate'
Johannesburg - Reports that Frank Chikane will leave the presidency when his tenure as director-general ends this month were "completely inaccurate", the presidency said on Friday.
No decision had been made by President Kgalema Motlanthe and Chikane about his tenure after October 31, presidential spokesperson Thabang Chiloane said in a statement.
At a briefing in Pretoria on Thursday, Chikane said he would not renew his contract.
He said that when he renewed his contract last year, he and former president Thabo Mbeki knew it would only be for one year.
"Don't expect Frank Chikane to make an announcement, because the presidency will make an announcement about what's going to happen after October," he continued.
In its statement on Friday, the presidency said Mbeki had started discussions with Chikane about his "possibly continuing to assist" until the government's term ended.
"This discussion has continued with President Motlanthe, who has requested that (Chikane) serve until April 2009. A decision on the matter is still to be made.
"Therefore, today's (Friday's) media reports are completely inaccurate in stating that the DG has decided to 'follow Mbeki'."
Chiloane said there would be further communication on the matter "as soon as a decision has been made by the president and the DG".