Cosatu welcomes SABC ruling

2011-01-27 17:01

Johannesburg - Cosatu on Thursday welcomed a court ruling that Icasa had to relaunch a probe into alleged political interference at the SABC in 2006.

Spokesperson Patrick Craven said in a statement: "The ruling fully vindicates the view taken by Cosatu, the Freedom of Expression Institute (FXI) and others in 2006, that the SABC had been guilty of manipulating the public broadcaster for factional political ends by blacklisting political commentators."

At the time the union federation wrote to the then SABC CEO Dali Mpofu expressing its concern over allegations that the SABC had banned four political commentators, Aubrey Matshiqi, William Gumede, Karima Brown and Vukani Mde.

Cosatu also told Mpofu that the then news editor Snuki Zikalala had instructed his staff to exclude opinion pieces by the four commentators in the public broadcaster's news and current affairs programmes.

"Despite these extremely serious charges, the SABC only gave the man responsible a 'verbal warning' not to repeat his offences, implying that they did not consider political censorship as a serious matter."

The South Gauteng High Court in Johannesburg on Monday ruled that the Independent Communications Authority of SA needs to relaunch a probe into alleged political interference at the SABC in 2006.

  • Madelane - 2011-01-27 18:25

    When oh when are we, as a country, going to be rid of these deeply dishonest, self serving politicians? - 2011-01-27 20:05

      Again, the anc lets us down.

  • Madelane - 2011-01-27 18:26

    And yes that includes you lot in Cosatu!!

  • Pragmatist - 2011-01-27 18:42

    Should there not be criminal charges laid? If the guy who spilled / threw a drink on JZ is charged, why not the SABC board at the time and those involved?

  • pages:
  • 1