D-Day for Bheki Cele
Xolani Mbanjwa, City Press
Johannesburg - The long-awaited inquiry into allegations of misconduct against Police Commissioner Bheki Cele will start on February 13, Judge Jake Moloi has said.
Moloi, the chairperson of the board of inquiry established by President Jacob Zuma in October last year, said they had been busy with “logistical preparations” for the inquiry.
Zuma’s spokesperson, Mac Maharaj, confirmed that the inquiry would resume next month after finalising preparations.
Maharaj said Advocate Lisa Tsatsi had been appointed as secretary to the board.
Other members of the board of inquiry include Advocate Terry Motau and Advocate Anthea Platt.
Zuma appointed the board of inquiry after Public Protector Thuli Madonsela had found Cele's role in procuring new police headquarters in Pretoria to be “improper and unlawful”.
The inquiry is expected to finalise its work within two years.
Zuma suspended Cele, with full pay, until the finalisation of the inquiry into the R500m lease deal, which is also the subject of a High Court bid by the department of public works to have it nullified.
“We have been busy with preparations and many logistical issues that we had to take into account. But we are now ready to start working on February 13,” said Moloi, a Free State High Court judge.