DA Youth challenges festival funding
Johannesburg - The World Festival of Youth and Students lacks focus on youth development and the millions spent on it should rather be used to empower the youth, the DA Youth said on Tuesday.
"According to our information, minister in the presidency Collins Chabane has requested each provincial government to contribute R4 730 000 to the hosting of this festival," said DA spokesperson Lebo More.
"As the DA Youth, we have distanced ourselves from this youth festival as it lacks focus on youth development... this festival costs millions which could be used to empower young people in provinces."
The festival, organised by the National Youth Development Agency (NYDA), is set to take place in Tshwane from December 13 to 21 and is expected to attract 30 000 people.
In a statement last week, NYDA executive chairperson Andile Lungisa said the National Treasury set aside an amount of R29m for the event.
"This is not a music festival or a jamboree as some have opportunistically chosen to label it.
"This is a festival of ideas that provides SA youth and the NYDA with increased international partnerships and networking opportunities with youth development practitioners and leaders from around the world."
More said many young people in Gauteng were not attending school and had no access to skills development or assistance to start businesses because of a lack of funds.
"Amounts such as those requested by Chabane from provinces should be channelled to programmes, for example youth wage subsidies and other youth development initiatives, and not on a few days conference that will end up not having benefited young people at large."
The DA Youth urged the Gauteng provincial government and all departments not to honour this "wasteful expenditure as it has no solid benefit to the entire youth community of this province".