DA urges premier to drop negligence appeal
Johannesburg - The DA in Gauteng has urged Premier Nomvula Mokonyane to drop the province's appeal against a judgment ordering it to pay a R9.2m negligence claim because the child and family need the money now.
"I urge the premier to reconsider her appeal against the court judgment as it is likely to fail and a disabled child needs the money urgently," Democratic Alliance MPL Jack Bloom said in a statement on Monday.
Bloom said he visited 12-year-old Prince Sibusiso Khanyi and his family at their modest home on the East Rand last week and was shown an empty fridge and larder.
Khanyi was brain-damaged when he was born in December 1999 at the Pholosong Hospital on the East Rand.
The South Gauteng High Court found on February 18 last year that he suffered permanent brain injury because of negligence at the hospital.
His mother Martha had said she was sad the premier had appealed the court decision and that she had no money to send her son to a school for children with special needs.
Bloom said 15.5% interest was being charged on the money still owed, and that this would cost at least another R2m in public money as the case would probably be decided in about 18 months' time.
Surgery to straighten the boy's feet would have to be delayed without the money.
The matter became public last week when the sheriff of the court arrived at the premier's office to begin attaching assets in lieu of non-compliance with the court order.
During an unrelated briefing on Monday, Mokonyane told reporters that the departments of health and justice were looking into the issue.