News24

Donen clears Motlanthe, Sexwale

2011-12-07 17:38

 Johannesburg - Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe and Human Settlements Minister Tokyo Sexwale have been cleared of alleged wrongdoing in connection with the Iraq Oil for Food Programme, the presidency said on Wednesday.

According to the findings of the Donen Commission, which was established by former president Thabo Mbeki in 2006, both Sexwale and Motlanthe have been “exonerated”.

The long-awaited report, which Mbeki had refused to release to the public, was released today by President Jacob Zuma.

According to Zuma’s spokesperson, Mac Maharaj, the report clears many “misconceptions” that certain individuals broke the law in return for oil concessions, allegations which had “impugned the character and dignity of several persons”.

The commission, headed by advocate Michael Donen found that Sexwale, Motlanthe and then director general of the department of minerals and energy, advocate Sandile Nogxina, “were not the subjects of the commission’s investigation”.

The commission also probed a transaction for 10 million barrels to Mocoh Services South Africa (Pty) Ltd, a company in which Sexwale was involved with trader Michael Hacking.

“The report states that the late Mr Sandile Majali had undertaken to pay the surcharge to the Iraqi authorities, contrary to the UN programme; that it seemed he had only made partial surcharge payments and that again there was no evidence that he had acted contrary to any South African laws,” said the presidency.

Maharaj said that Zuma hoped that the release of the report would end the “gossip, speculation, misconceptions and misperceptions”, adding that the report was released in the light of a court application by Independent Newspapers to have it released to the public.

“We reiterate that President Zuma has decided to release the report despite the potential for misuse of the contents, as he is of the view that the public interest will be served by the public release of the report,” said Maharaj.

Mbeki had given the commission wide-ranging powers including making recommendations about what steps are to be taken against any individual found to have contravened international law and South African laws.

The commission had used another report compiled by the UN’s Independent Inquiry Committee (IIC) into abuses of the UN oil-for-food programme as the basis of its investigation.

But Donen slated the ICC report – which carried a disclaimer over the methodology used by the IIC and the lack of response from the South African companies and individuals alleged to be involved – for publishing “unambiguous innuendo directed against the (then ANC) Secretary General (Motlanthe) and by inference the government of South Africa”.

“This gratuitous attack via the text of the IIC report ... was regarded by the Commission as a matter of public concern”, the commission found.

“The Commission rejected the proposition that South Africa was a political beneficiary of the Iraq’s surcharge and kickback policy,” added the Commission.

Maharaj said that Donen also found that “the leaked versions of the Commission report first published in the media on 23 August 2009, had created misconceptions about the true content of the Commission reports”.

Comments
  • Peter - 2011-12-07 18:00

    Did you really think that they would findtwo of their favourite boys,,, guilty of anything, these two are involved in anything that goes one in this country, you cant trust any of the morons

      Sithando - 2011-12-07 18:44

      You can find them guilty yourself then, and satisfy yourself as you always do in many forms.

  • mundu.olewega - 2011-12-07 18:04

    Who the hell cares??? There has been so much corruption by the ANC since then that this one has just faded into obscurity.

  • Grant - 2011-12-07 18:06

    If this report exonerates the main players, the anc, the government and absolutely everybody, then why did Mbeki refuse to release it? Why did it take court action by independent newspapers to force it's release? I for one do not trust it for one single nanosecond!

  • Larry - 2011-12-07 18:08

    Dammit JZ, foiled again.

  • Adam - 2011-12-07 18:21

    How are we expected to believe this? Dig a little deeper, all the fat worms are just a bit deeper..maharaj wouldnt be telling lies again, or would he?.

  • raymond.kok3 - 2011-12-07 18:26

    why than was it deemed important to consult with them before the report was released and by the way who cares it all a white wash

  • Jim - 2011-12-07 18:39

    Were not the subjects of the commissions investigation??? Fine - expand the "subjects" in the interest of transparency and "Good Governance" and lets see what comes out when they are "Subjects" JZ - the time is coming when you will be held accountable (understand that word?) by the SA Electorate and you will be found wanting!

      Had - 2011-12-07 19:14

      Agreed. If they weren't investigated they have to be exonerated. This is just a non-story. Ridiculous.

  • Piet - 2011-12-07 18:43

    They should all face the music like Selebi, then the ANC would be where they where 30 years ago! The whole ANC in jail!

  • pws69 - 2011-12-07 18:47

    If they were all exhonerated, then why the secrecy for so long? Mmmm.

  • George - 2011-12-07 18:49

    Enough time to rewrite everything to there advantage

  • frank.hartry - 2011-12-07 19:18

    There must have been a reason as to why the ANC led government has taken five years to release the report. There is something suspicious here because over the years there have been leaks to the media to the effect that the ANC had been involved in corruption. It looks as if the media was wrong in this case.

  • colin.dovey - 2011-12-07 19:29

    Ho Hum.....a non-event....free publicity for the ANC....NOW, they released the TRUTH about all the Porkers with their snouts in the trough....the TRUTH...then that would mean something

  • nicn44 - 2011-12-07 19:46

    Nicely fielded Mac & Co, it was all a figment of the UN's imagination

  • leko.dada1 - 2011-12-07 19:47

    U may say ANC is corrupt bt I say white-collar crime is worse...DA and its supporters like media should be investigated too.COSATU N SAPS MUST WORK HARD EXPOSING THIEVES[who commit white-collar crime]

      frank.hartry - 2011-12-07 21:01

      Hi. Before he was unceremoneously demoted the then head of the Special Investigations Unit Willie Hofmeyr, stated to parliment that this ANC led government was golloping up about R30 billion per annum of hard earned taxpayers money intended for the poor people of South Africa, through government corruption at all levels and departments, wastage, 'greed and theft by ANC politicians' incompetence and negligence. I doubt that white collar crime is worse and anway is not taxpayers money. I believe that Hofmeyr was replaced by the sycophantic blithering idiot Heath because of his revelations. Heath will never reveal government corruption and will die for his mentor Zuma.

      bernpm - 2011-12-07 21:09

      @leko: "....THIEVES[who commit white-collar crime" Today too many blacks are in white collars.....!! You mean "white skin" crime????

      Marion - 2011-12-08 08:14

      @leko.dada1 - I presume that you do understand what 'white collar crime' is. It has got nothing to do with whites. It is just a term used to describe any person in a position of power and respect (i.e. the guys who wear suits to work). That includes all ANC members etc., whether male or female.

  • pages:
  • 1