E Cape education crisis - minister sorry
Pretoria - Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga on Monday apologised for the "ongoing education crisis" in the Eastern Cape.
This year, subsidised transport for pupils had been suspended, as had the schools nutrition programme, and thousands of pupils were without teachers.
Motshekga had expressed "grave concern" about the ongoing education crisis in the Eastern Cape, and the delay in dealing with the challenges negatively affecting schooling, the department said in a statement on Monday.
It said she had sent senior officials from the national basic education department to assist the provincial department in dealing with transport for pupils, school nutrition, the distribution of text books and the supply of teachers.
"The department would like to express sincere apologies for the hardship currently experienced by learners, parents and the entire school community," the department said.
Last month, the SA Democratic Teachers' Union's Eastern Cape secretary Fezeka Loliwe described education in the province as being "on the brink of collapse unless the powers that be take drastic measures to save the situation".
Loliwe said that the union's provincial executive committee was demanding the reinstatement of all temporary teachers.