E Cape reshuffle just politics - DA

2010-11-28 20:27

Johannesburg - The overhaul of the Eastern Cape cabinet has nothing to do with service delivery, the Democratic Alliance in the province said on Sunday.

"It's all about factional politics, aligning the cabinet with the political forces at play in the province," said DA provincial legislature leader Bobby Stevenson in a statement.

Stevenson charged that Premier Noxolo Kiviet was "bullied" into announcing the wide ranging shake-up which affected all but one provincial department - the sport, arts and culture portfolio.

Kiviet announced the provincial reshuffle on Saturday.

Stevenson said it would take "months" for the new cabinet to become a "cohesive force" to improve service delivery.


"This unprincipled shake-up is going to bite the ANC in the months ahead and cause a further wave of instability and infighting to flow through the province," he said,

Three new members brought into the cabinet at this "critical time" was a "slap in the face" for ANC members already part of the legislature, he added.

The Young Communist League welcomed the cabinet reshuffle and again called for Phumulo Musualle to be appointed premier.

"We strongly believe that the decision to reshuffle the cabinet is the interest of the people of the province in particular the working class and the peasantry," said YCL provincial secretary Mluleki Dlelanga in a statement.

"As much as we support the reshuffling we still stand by our resolution that comrade Phumulo Musualle must be the provincial premier and we are not apologetic for that, we will continue to persuade and engage... structures in the province to support us on that call."

The ANC in the Eastern Cape said on Saturday that the reshuffle would promote the progressive implementation of the party's 2009 Election Manifesto priorities.

"(This) includes amongst other priorities, the acceleration of service delivery to the people of the province and tackling the developmental tasks that lie ahead," ANC Eastern Cape provincial secretary, Oscar Mabuyane said.

He said the provincial branch of the ruling party implored the new executive council to move with the "speed of a lightning", to improve the pace of government delivery.

President Jacob Zuma's announcement of an overhaul of his cabinet at national level last month sparked a wave of provincial leaders following suit.

  • Boerseun - 2010-11-29 06:47

    They are ensuring the eastern Cape blacks will stay poor forever, but then that is their right. This will however play into ANC hands as more and more people will flee to the WC, leading to an ANC charge to retake that province. Is that what the country needs? Not a good thing at all in my opinion. The WC people should push for seccession now or eventually face ANC rule again.

  • onemantribe - 2010-11-29 08:12

    Cinderella needs escorts to take her to the Ball.

  • pointblankza - 2010-11-29 08:52

    It will take months?? How much longer must people "wait" for their basic rights to be met? It has taken 16 years so far and they are not much better off, now it will take another few months for "something" to happen again?

  • Wow! - 2010-11-29 09:00

    Ironically the more successful the Western Cape is and the less successful the Eastern cape the greater the migration from East to West and that is bad news.

  • BT - 2010-11-29 12:04

    We all know that this is merely to give "other cadres' who have been waiting in the que, their turn to stick their snouts in the trough!!

  • pages:
  • 1