Factionalism biggest problem - ANC

2012-11-20 20:56
(Picture: Sapa)

(Picture: Sapa)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - Factionalism is the biggest problem facing the African National Congress, the party in the Eastern Cape said on Tuesday.

"It affects our work as the organisation as we continue to find ways to address it," the provincial ANC said in a statement.

"It also had an impact in the process of local government election, hence the formation of parallel structure at a branch level."

Before last year's 18 May local government elections, the ANC announced a new process allowing communities to select their candidates.

There were several protests around the country when popular candidates were removed from the candidate lists.

A task team, headed by current African Union commission chair Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, was appointed to investigate complaints in 419 wards across the country.

Dlamini-Zuma's team handed its report to the ANC national executive committee during its meeting at the weekend.

The ANC in the Eastern Cape called for disciplinary measures against councillors who used their positions to influence processes.

The province said it was progressing well for its preparations ahead of the party's national elective conference next month.

"We had a slight challenge in terms of the slow pace of the branch general meetings (BGM) but we have since put in place reinforcements where necessary, in order to ensure that we take our full delegation of 676 branch delegates to... Mangaung."

About 83% of the province's branches had held their meetings; the remaining 17% had until 27 November to do so.

The ANC in the Eastern Cape would hold its provincial nomination conference on 29 and 30 November and at the Fort Hare University's Alice campus.

"The packaged outcomes of this conference will constitute the mandate of the Eastern Cape delegates to the national conference," it said.

- SAPA
Read more on:    anc  |  port elizabeth  |  east london  |  mangaung 2012  |  politics
NEXT ON NEWS24X
SHARE:

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
21 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Inside News24

 
SPONSORED CONTENT
Investment tips you need to know 2015-01-29 14:07

Ever wondered how to assess your future potential liability? Feroz Basa, Senior Portfolio Manager Old Mutual Investment Group, weighs in on all the investment tips you need to know. WATCH.

/News

Jobs in Cape Town [change area]

Property [change area]

Travel - Look, Book, Go!

Kalahari.com - shop online today

Valentine’s Day gifts – 14 Feb!

Gifts to spoil him and her. While stocks last. Shop now!

Games on Sale!

Save up to 60% on selected games. While stocks last. Shop now!

Up to 30% off All Textbooks

Save up to 30% off an extensive range of prescribed textbooks for all major universities and FET colleges. Shop Now!

Save up to 40% on outdoor accessories!

Tents, sleeping, day packs and more. While stocks last. Shop now!

30% off fragrances

Get 30% off fragrances for him and her. While stocks last. Shop now!

OLX Free Classifieds [change area]

Horoscopes
Aquarius
Aquarius

Love is in the air and it is swirling around you in a romantic mist. This may be an idealistic yearning for that perfect love or...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.