News24

Faulty condoms must be recalled - DA

2012-03-28 20:35

Cape Town - The Democratic Alliance has called for a certain brand of condoms to be withdrawn from the market because of possible defects.

"It has emerged in Parliament's trade and industry portfolio committee that the National Consumer Commission (NCC) received complaints that a mainstream brand of condoms is defective," DA spokesperson Wilmot James said on Tuesday.

The brand could not be named at this stage for legal reasons.

According to the NCC, the condoms were sent to the SA Bureau of Standards (SABS) for testing earlier this week, where they passed quality control tests.

However, Consumer Commissioner Mamodupi Mohlala had indicated that she was not satisfied with these tests and that she would seek a second opinion from a private testing company.

Should be recalled

James said it was believed that the tests conducted by the SABS were invalid for two reasons:

- The SABS had tested too few condoms. Instead of using the normal test sample size of 800, the SABS only used a sample size of 160 test condoms; and

-    Some of the condoms used in the test were from a different batch. When the SABS requested that the remainder of the 800 condoms be provided, the producer provided condoms from another batch produced in Swaziland.

Given the danger that faulty condoms could present to the public, this product should be recalled without delay, he said.

The commissioner, therefore, needed to take several urgent steps. She needed to determine, with scientific precision, what the problem with these condoms was, if any.

If there was cause for concern, the public needed to be informed with immediate effect and the product removed from all retail outlets.

The manufacturer would need to be fully investigated and held to account for producing a faulty product with life-threatening risks.

"The DA will be monitoring this case to make sure that nobody's life is put at risk as a result of faulty condoms," James said.

Comments
  • Bob - 2012-03-28 21:18

    Trust the SABS to cock-up the test!

      Nhlamulo - 2012-03-28 21:48

      Solid wordplay - only reason am giving you a "thumbs-up" :-)

      Jack - 2012-03-28 21:48

      Well look on the bright side, it's an improvement on the last handout were they stapled condoms to leaflets. They'll eventually get it right...just hope the whole population hasn’t succumbed to hiv and death by that time.

  • Ian - 2012-03-28 21:23

    Send them to Wilmot James himself to test them.

      Daphne - 2012-03-28 21:57

      Ian - you are a sicko! Think of all those unwanted babies ending up in gutters and bins, etc. "condomise" is safe(!!WE WOULD LIKE TO THINK!!!), easily accessible and allow people to practise safe and responsible sex.

      berni.venter - 2012-03-29 08:02

      Daphne, unwanted babies is the least of our problems! With a 30,2% HIV prevalence in South Africa (as per the 2010 National Department of Health Antenatal survey http://www.doh.gov.za/docs/reports/2011/hiv_aids_survey.pdf) it is highly irresponsible of the manufacturer NOT TO ADVISE THE PUBLIC!

  • Mark - 2012-03-28 21:47

    Send them to a staple factory.

  • eben.ferreira1 - 2012-03-28 21:54

    I expect a few very funny comments here

      yolande.rwaai - 2012-03-28 22:10

      You and me both!

  • Sharon - 2012-03-28 22:08

    These aren't the same as the ones distributed at the birthday bash? http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10782597 Quite an eye-opener - I can understand why they want them independently tested!

  • Rob - 2012-03-28 23:18

    Those are some pretty good reasons to either retest with 800 from the same batch or recall as a safety precaution.

  • beryl.knipe - 2012-03-29 04:33

    Nothing new. The South African Government imported 40 million of the cheapest condoms. About 25% were defective. Although the Health Department began recalling the suspect condoms in May 1998, they were still being distributed in Gauteng, the Western Cape and the Free State, in February 1999! At no stage did the Department inform the public of the problem. Even doctors were unaware of the recall and were shocked to hear it had been in effect for almost a year when the Sunday Times reported the problem in May 1999.

  • pages:
  • 1