Fight goes on for Waterfront docking
Cape Town - The Western Cape government will continue to fight for passenger ships to be allowed to dock at Cape Town's Waterfront, Tourism MEC Alan Winde said on Tuesday.
Winde said the cruise liner industry was an important niche product offering for tourism in the city.
"On an annual basis, it currently generates an estimated R206m for the province’s economy, a figure that is expected to grow significantly over the coming years as the City of Cape Town and national government roll out cruise line tourism strategies."
He said in order to ensure it was able to increase this industry’s contribution to economic growth, it was essential that visiting cruise liners be given "a world-class reception" by allowing ships below 200m in length to berth at the Waterfront.
Winde said he had called for an urgent meeting with Home Affairs Minister Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, to discuss lifting the ban on cruise liners docking at the V&A Waterfront.
The ban, which had been in place for two weeks, had already affected docking arrangements of two cruise liners and would affect another eight in the coming months.
"I will continue to fight for this cause," Winde said.
One of the world’s most luxurious ocean liners, the Queen Mary 2, docked at the Eastern Mole in the Port of Cape Town earlier on Tuesday.
The QM2, which is more than 345m long, has a guest capacity of 3 056 and carries 1 253 crew. Due to its length, the ship is not able to dock at the Waterfront.