Gauteng online plan wastes billions: DA
Johannesburg - The Gauteng provincial government is wasting billions of rands on a project meant to provide computer access to school children, the DA claimed on Wednesday.
"The DA has visited more than 100 schools in the past two months. We found that 95% of schools visited with Gauteng Online Computer laboratories were dysfunctional: either they had been stolen or were off-line," said DA Gauteng education spokesperson Khume Ramulifho.
The project began in 2001 and to date it had been of "minimal benefit to learners", he claimed.
"The DA believes that there are no excuses for not providing innovative education, using information and communication technology in enhancing quality learning and teaching in Gauteng."
Ramulifho said questions posed to Gauteng's Education MEC Barbara Creecy were not answered.
He said Creecy had stated: "It is the responsibility of the department of finance and all questions should be referred to them."
But according to Ramulifho, the finance department was saying the education department was responsible for content management.
"This blame game must stop."
The Gauteng education department was not available for comment.