News24

KZN speaker a victim of politics - SACP

2011-10-31 20:22

Durban - Fresh corruption allegations against KwaZulu-Natal speaker Peggy Nkonyeni are nothing but a political ploy, the SA Communist Party said on Monday.

"These [allegations] are purely aimed at compromising her public standing," SACP provincial executive member Khaye Nkwanyana told reporters in Durban.

He called the news briefing to respond to fresh corruption allegations against Nkonyeni, a senior party member.

The Sunday Tribune reported that Nkonyeni profited after several companies linked to her did business with the provincial government when she was still health MEC.

Nkwanyana said his party was worried that allegations against Nkonyeni always surfaced when big political events were about to happen.

"We have noticed that corruption allegations are labelled against her just before elective conferences and deployments," he said.

Corruption allegations surfaced before the African National Congress provincial conference in 2008 and before the general elections in 2009 to prevent her from getting a cabinet post, he said.

"We are worried about this obsession and permanent mobilisation against her."

SACP treasurer Mbuyiseni Mathonsi said the party was convinced the new allegations indicated something big was in the offing.

"We won’t be surprised if something big happens soon. We expect it," he said.

KwaZulu-Natal Premier Zweli Mkhize is rumoured to be about to reshuffle his cabinet.

The Sunday Tribune reported Finance MEC Ina Cronje as saying three companies linked to Nkonyeni had done business worth R347 000 with the provincial government.

It reported that R222 300 had been paid to one of the companies, Greenville, for the supply of wheelchairs while she was health MEC in 2008.

Other services provided by the companies, some as recently as this year, included venues and facilities, advertising and marketing and catering.

Nkonyeni faces other charges relating to racketeering, fraud and money laundering involving R144m.

The case also involves economic development MEC Mike Mabuyakhulu, Uruguayan businessman Gaston Savoi and scores of current and former government officials.

All the accused are out on bail and will appear in court again on January 20 2012 for a High Court trial date to be set.

Nkwanyana said allegations that Nkonyeni had influenced the awarding of a R1.5m tender for the procurement of an ultrasound scanner had been dismissed by the court.

"We know there are people in our movement who want to fight political battles in courts. They abuse state institutions."

He said the SACP supported Nkonyeni’s decision to invite Public Protector Thuli Madonsela to investigate the allegations against her.

Comments
  • Mike - 2011-10-31 20:42

    Another dirty politician, it's our national sport.

  • pages:
  • 1