Lebogo detention report is false: ANCYL
Johannesburg - The ANC Youth League in Limpopo on Wednesday said reports that its secretary, Jacob Lebogo, had been detained by the Hawks for questioning two months ago were false.
"These lies were published despite an earlier media statement released by the chairperson of [the] ANC Youth League in Limpopo on September 29 2011," it said in a statement.
"More than ever, we are now totally convinced that a conspiracy exists and that its aim is to dent the reputation of, not only the secretary... but also that of the general good name of the league in general, as well as the youth league president who is being linked to these imaginative but potentially harmful media statements."
The Sunday Independent reported that Lebogo was briefly detained by the Hawks in September as part of its probe into multimillion-rand tender irregularities in the province, which were believed to have benefited ANCYL president Julius Malema and his close allies.
He was reportedly detained after being found with about R2m in cash on him.
According to the newspaper, the Hawks would decide later whether to press charges against Lebogo. Hawks spokesperson McIntosh Polela refused to comment.
The Limpopo ANCYL said it was supporting Lebogo.
"We stand firm behind him and encourage any individual who believes they may have any credible information of any misdemeanours to approach any law enforcement authorities with that information."