Mabe denies wanting ANCYL top spot
Johannesburg - ANC Youth League treasurer general Pule Mabe has denied campaigning to take league president Julius Malema's position.
"A lot of media speculation and rumours have sought to suggest that I am actively involved in activities that seek to divide and undermine the unity of this [ANCYL leadership]," he told reporters in Johannesburg on Monday.
"We remain one and will continue to be one until the next elective congress in 2014."
In February, ANCYL KwaZulu-Natal deputy secretary Sboniso Duma said Mabe had been going to regions in KwaZulu-Natal, campaigning to take over as president of the ANCYL from Malema.
"Pule Mabe's behaviour is foreign and would not be allowed to go unchallenged. We are going to start an aggressive programme that will reject this opportunist behaviour," he said in a statement.
Earlier on Monday, the New Age newspaper reported that Mabe had been suspended from the ANCYL pending disciplinary action against him.
Mabe was reportedly suspended following a special ANCYL national executive committee meeting held in Johannesburg at the weekend.
However, Mabe attended the ANCYL's media briefing on Monday morning. He sat next to Malema and answered questions on his behalf.
"Media detractors should altogether stop using my name to drive divisions within the ANCYL, because such attempts will never succeed," said Mabe.