News24

Magaqa ordered to apologise to Gigaba

2012-03-01 09:16

Johannesburg - ANC Youth League secretary general Sindiso Magaqa will be suspended from the ANC for three years if he does not apologise to Public Enterprises Minister Malusi Gigaba, the party's national disciplinary committee (NDC) said on Wednesday evening.

Committee chairperson Derek Hanekom said that having weighed and considered all factors, the committee suspended Magaqa from the African National Congress for three years.

However, the sanction would be suspended for three years and would only be implemented if he were found guilty of misconduct within that time. The suspension would also apply to his membership of the Youth League, in accordance with the NDC of appeals' decision on February 4.

Magaqa was given 15 days to make a public apology to Gigaba. Failure to comply would mean his sanction would not be suspended.

Magaqa was found guilty of prejudicing the integrity of the organisation and creating divisions by making derogatory remarks about national executive committee member and Public Enterprises Minister Malusi Gigaba. Magaqa accused Gigaba of "pleasing imperialists" when he said the nationalisation debate was hurting foreign investment in South Africa.

The appeals committee previously upheld Magaqa's conviction for making potentially defamatory statements, and he was ordered to apologise to Gigaba within five days or face 18 months suspension.

Magaqa has the right to appeal to the NDCA against this sanction within 14 days.