Malema appeal to get under way
Johannesburg - Oral arguments will be presented on Monday in embattled ANC Youth League president Julius Malema's appeal against his five year suspension from the ANC.
Malema's lawyers submitted heads of argument to the ANC's national disciplinary committee of appeals last week.
Advocate Patrick Mtshaulana said these detailed why Malema's five-year suspension should be overturned.
Malema and other senior ANCYL leaders were suspended after being found guilty of sowing division within the ANC and of bringing the party into disrepute.
This was a result of comments made on bringing about regime change in Botswana.
Arguments in mitigation of sentence
Heads of argument were also filed for ANCYL spokesperson Floyd Shivambu, who was suspended for three years, deputy president Ronald Lamola, treasurer-general Pule Mabe, secretary-general Sindiso Magaqa and deputy secretary-general Kenetswe Mosenogi.
Mtshaulana said they would try to convince ANC appeals committee chairperson Cyril Ramaphosa that they were not given a chance to argue in mitigation of their sentences.
They would also argue that disciplinary committee members, including chairperson Derek Hanekom and Mineral Resources Minister Susan Shabangu, should have recused themselves.
This was because they had previously publicly disagreed with the ANCYL's positions on land reform and the nationalisation of mines.
They would further submit that the verdict and sanctions relied on an outdated section of the ANCYL constitution.
Should they lose, Malema and his executive could refer the matter to the ANC's national executive committee, they could seek to have the elective conference in Mangaung review the suspensions, or could head to the courts