Mike Sutcliffe to sue successor for R8m
Durban - Former eThekwini municipal manager Mike Sutcliffe intends suing his newly-appointed successor for R8m, the Daily News reported on Friday.
According to the report, Sutcliffe will sue for loss of future income and damage to his reputation.
Current city manager S’bu Sithole has said he intended filing a criminal charge against Sutcliffe, and seeks to recover R1.1m in losses incurred by the metro, allegedly because Sutcliffe failed to timeously report fraud and corruption.
The newspaper quoted an unnamed source as saying that Sutcliffe had sent Sithole a letter outlining his demands.
Sithole’s comments came after the release of findings from a probe into irregular spending by the municipality.
The probe was instituted after Auditor General Terence Nombembe said in his 2009/10 report that R532m had been irregularly spent by the municipality.
The irregular expenditure in the past three years amounted to R2.2bn.
Attempts to reach Sutcliffe on Friday were unsuccessful.