More quit Presidency; 'no crisis'

2010-07-06 10:11
Johannesburg - The Presidency has announced three more departures by senior officials in its office, but denied that there was a "crisis".

"There is no exodus of staff, and there is no crisis or turmoil in the institution," the Presidency said on its website on Monday.

"What is happening are normal staff movements as it happens in any organisation at any time," the Presidency said, adding that it was concerned about "speculative reporting" on staff changes.

The comments were contained in a statement entitled, "Staff changes in the Presidency", which confirmed weekend rumours of more departures by senior officials.

Moving to Russia

The statement said President Jacob Zuma's economic adviser Mandisi Mpahlwa and deputy director-general for communications Vusi Mona would move to other jobs.

The Presidency said that Mpahlwa had been appointed ambassador-designate to the Russian Federation.

"Given the importance of Russia, we needed a seasoned cadre to represent the president and the national interest in that country," said the minister in the Presidency responsible for administration, Collins Chabane.

Mpahlwa will assume the post in September.

Mona will move to the Government Communications and Information System.

"The weekend media reports that Mr Mona has been asked to resign are incorrect," said the Presidency.

"Meanwhile, President Zuma and Minister Chabane are currently in discussions with the Director-General, Mr Vusi Mavimbela regarding his role and this has not been finalised yet."

Differences with Duarte

The resignation of chief director for presidential support services Steyn Speed - "who is leaving to undertake further studies" - was also announced in the statement.

Zuma spokesperson Vincent Magwenya resigned last week to "rejoin the corporate world".

Chief operating officer Jessie Duarte resigned in April.

At the time, the then deputy director-general in the Presidency and current chief of staff, Lakela Kaunda, dismissed reports linking her to Jessie Duarte's resignation as "grossly incorrect" and "unfortunate".

"I have never had a quarrel with Ms Jessie Duarte," said Kaunda at the time.

In February, it was reported that Duarte wrote an "emotional email" to ANC secretary-general Gwede Mantashe, citing a "smear" campaign, "gossip" and "vilification" as reasons for intending to leave.

Read more on:    jacob zuma  |  jessie duarte  |  politics

SHARE:

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Inside News24

 
SPONSORED CONTENT
The best-kept secrets of electric cars

The secret day-to-day benefits of driving an electric car.

/World
 

20 self-made teenage millionaires

From selling lemonade to building webpages, these young entrepreneurs made a pretty fortune!

 
 

Luxury living

Top 10 richest musicians of all time
10 most expensive cars In the world
10 of the most expensive things that will leave your jaw hanging!
Seven of the most expensive children's toys ever made
Traffic Alerts
Horoscopes
Aquarius
Aquarius

There is a tendency towards setting your expectations too high which will result in disappointment. Try not to let your thoughts...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.