News24

Motlanthe: No word on youth subsidy

2012-08-15 21:23

Cape Town - There is still no word from Nedlac on the youth wage subsidy scheme, Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe told MPs on Wednesday.

Responding to a question in the National Assembly, he said he had been told several issues on the subsidy had been raised in the National Economic Development and Labour Council, and these required further discussion.

"Cabinet has not yet received final proposals on the implementation of the youth employment incentive. I am informed that both organised business and labour have made comments on the proposals, and have raised several issues which require further discussion," he said.

His reply comes a day ahead of a general debate in the House on the subsidy. Noting this, Speaker Max Sisulu on Wednesday warned those asking supplementary questions to make sure these were "limited to matters canvassed in the [main] question".

This injunction appeared to also constrain Motlanthe's replies.

Asked by opposition leader Lindiwe Mazibuko if the time had not come to "do the right thing" and implement the youth wage subsidy, the deputy president responded that the "status" of the subsidy would be revealed on Thursday.

"I'm advised by Economic Development Minister Ebrahim Patel that he will be in a position to share the status of what has been agreed to tomorrow," Motlanthe said.

"Tomorrow is D-Day."

Labour federation Cosatu, represented at Nedlac, is opposed to the introduction of a youth wage subsidy.

Comments
  • godfrey.welman - 2012-08-15 22:28

    Question, what happened to the money announced by JZ and PG in Parly with much fanfar?

  • pages:
  • 1