Probe parly funds abuse claim - ANC
Johannesburg - Allegations that parliamentary secretary Zingile Dingani misused the institution's money on his private home must be investigated, the ANC chief whip's office said on Sunday.
"We view these allegations in a serious light, particularly as they relate to the management and integrity of one of the key institutions anchoring our constitutional democracy," Mathole Motshekga said in a statement.
"The Office of the Chief Whip will therefore request that the allegations be subjected to a full investigation. It is in the interest of both the institution and individuals involved that this matter is swiftly investigated."
He was reacting to a Sunday Times report according to which Dingani used R186 000 in parliamentary funds to build boundary wall at his home, in Cape Town's Panorama suburb.
Parliament spokesperson Luzuko Jacobs told the paper: "A security assessment was carried out on the basis of a series of reported security breaches at the house... This assessment was done by the state security agencies...
"The work which was carried out was in response to, and based on, the recommendations of the various reports submitted as part of their assessment."
In 2009, a senior management meeting, chaired by Dingani, had agreed that financial assistance to parliamentary staff, including loans, be stopped.
"No further advances on salary will be given to employees," the weekly reported, quoting from the minutes of the meeting.
Dingani, who earned R1.8m a year, was meant to repay the money in R10 000 monthly instalments, but December's instalment was refunded to him.
Jacobs told the paper the transaction had been approved by Parliament. The money was advanced to Dingani on the understanding he would repay it, he said.