Huge road repairs bill beckons

2014-07-08 16:59
(Shutterstock)

(Shutterstock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town - More than 173 000km of municipal roads across South Africa are in poor to very poor condition, MPs heard on Tuesday.

Repairing them will cost about R149bn, acting transport Director General Mawethu Vilana told Parliament's transport portfolio committee.

"What we generally refer to as 'backlog' is in the categories poor and very poor. [This alone] requires about R149bn. It's a mountain to climb," he said.

According to the department's strategic and annual performance plan, tabled at the briefing, there are 173 089km of roads in "poor to very poor condition", of which 16 402km are paved roads, and 156 687km gravel.

The cost of repairing them is R118bn and R31bn respectively.

The document defines poor roads as those needing "significant renewal or rehabilitation", and very poor roads as those "in imminent danger of structural failure and requiring substantial renewal or upgrading".

Vilana said the majority of roads in these categories were in municipalities across the country.

"Municipal road infrastructure, particularly road network, is really a challenge."

Of those roads in very good or good condition - about 40% of the total - the majority were managed by the SA National Road Agency Limited (Sanral).

Earlier, Vilana told the committee that Sanral now managed over 22 000km of roads in South Africa.

"Of [this], only 14% is tolled. The other 86% is funded through the public purse.

"So when we talk about Sanral and the tolling of roads... that is what we need to contextualise: The majority of roads infrastructure is funded through the public purse."

Asked during a break in the proceedings if this ratio – 14% tolled to 86% public-funded - was likely to change much over the next five years, Vilana told Sapa this was unlikely.

"There is a sense that we won't want to alter that balance," he said, adding that to do so would "over-burden" road users.

However, government was looking to involve the private sector in tolling.

"There is room and space for tolling of what we believe is key economic road infrastructure," he said.

Read more on:    sanral  |  cape town  |  transport  |  parliament 2014

SHARE:

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
127 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Inside News24

 
SPONSORED CONTENT
The best-kept secrets of electric cars

The secret day-to-day benefits of driving an electric car.

/News
 

Top 10 richest musicians of all time

Check out the gallery to find out who they are!

 
 

Luxury living

10 of the most expensive things that will leave your jaw hanging!
Seven of the most expensive children's toys ever made
5 millionaires turned murderers
The youngest billionaires in the world and how they made it
Horoscopes
Aquarius
Aquarius

Innovation, idealism, romanticism and other far reaching dreams can lead you into a spiral of enthusiasm and excitement. Somewhere...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.