Radebe distances him from Cele saga
Johannesburg - Justice Minister Jeff Radebe has not been ordered to take steps against police commissioner Bheki Cele, the justice ministry said on Monday.
"The minister is not in any way involved in this matter," spokesperson Tlali Tlali said in a statement.
Earlier, the presidency dismissed reports of the imminent suspension of Cele.
Presidential spokesperson Mac Maharaj declined to say whether President Jacob Zuma had already taken a decision on Cele's fate.
The Sunday Times reported at the weekend that the president was about to send a final letter of suspension to Cele.
According to the newspaper, he would be barred from office while a board of inquiry investigated his role in the police's R1.7bn lease deals for new headquarters, which the public protector had deemed unlawful.
Tlali said Zuma only directed Radebe to put into effect the appointment of a commission of inquiry into the arms deal.
"Work is currently underway in relation to the finalisation of the terms of reference and other attendant logistics," Tlali said, referring to the arms deal inquiry.
"This matter is receiving the attention it deserves."