News24

Rasool, Ozinksy charges dropped

2010-02-25 17:05

Cape Town - The African National Congress has dropped disciplinary charges against two prominent Western Cape members, former premier Ebrahim Rasool and MPL Max Ozinsky.

Interim party leader in the province Membathisi Mdladlana said on Thursday the move represented an "amicable settlement" in the matter.

Both men were suspended following a public spat over allegations made by Premier Helen Zille last year that Ozinsky leaked information to the Democratic Alliance to undermine Rasool.

Mdladlana said he had met and spoken to both of them, and he was satisfied with their commitment to "defend the unity and integrity of the organisation and its principles".

They were also committed to participate in the provincial task team's work of uniting and rebuilding the structures of the organisation.

Active in party again


"Having thoroughly considered their undertakings and commitments, the ANC has decided not to further pursue the disciplinary proceedings against comrade Max Ozinsky and comrade Ebrahim Rasool," he said.

Both men were allowed to participate fully in ANC activities with immediate effect.

Rasool's hearing has been postponed several times, while Ozinsky's was short-circuited by a technicality.
There had been suggestions he was going to be re-charged.

The ANC axed Rasool as premier in 2008. He is currently a member of the National Assembly.

Ozinsky was former ANC chief whip in the provincial legislature.

Mdladlana was put in charge of an interim provincial task team after the ANC's provincial executive headed by Ozinsky ally Mcebisi Skwatsha was suspended in July last year.