SA asks Nato to stop bombing Libya
Cape Town - SA has repeatedly asked the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (Nato) to stop bombing Libya and that hostilities in that country come to an end, says Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe.
Answering questions on Wednesday in the National Assembly, Motlanthe said that President Jacob Zuma had made this point clearly in his engagements with British Prime Minister David Cameron, when he visited SA; Russian President Dmitry Medvedev and Nato secretary general Anders Rasmussen, when he attended a special meeting in Russia recently.
"The president as well as the minister and deputy minister of international relations and co-operation, Maite Nkoana-Mashabane, have consistently spoken out against Nato's violation of the mandate of United Nations Security Council Resolution 1973 in seeking regime change and the resultant loss of civilian lives as it continues its bombing campaign of Tripoli," Motlanthe said.
He said that the South African government had been clear in all engagements on the matter of Libya, that it is against regime change and would continue to raise this issue in an attempt to prevent further loss of civilian lives and in seeking the adoption and implementation of the African Union roadmap by all parties involved in the Libyan conflict.
"The African Union has made it very clear that the Libyan people must determine their own future through an inclusive process that will ensure a full democratisation of all political institutions. This will allow for macroeconomic recovery and the restoration of normality in Libyan society," Motlanthe said.
He then went on to say: "It is our collective view, as leaders in Africa, that no illegal removal of a government can be justified, not least through violent means."