Strike and be disciplined, teachers warned

2013-04-23 22:27

(Shutterstock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - Teachers joining a planned SA Democratic Teachers' Union (Sadtu) protest march will face disciplinary procedures, the basic education department said on Tuesday.

"Principals that do not monitor and register the attendance of teachers will [also] be subjected to disciplinary procedures," said department spokesperson Panyaza Lesufi.

"Educators that sign the register as being present at school but later leave to join protest action will be subjected to disciplinary procedures."

The department would apply the principle of no-work-no-pay, Lesufi said.

Sadtu announced that it would hold protest marches on Wednesday.

The union said close to 25 000 of its members were expected to take part in the national marches to the Union Buildings in Pretoria and Parliament in Cape Town.

"The marches are meant to increase the pressure on Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga and her director general Bobby Soobrayan to resign from their... positions, in defence of collective bargaining and promotion of quality public education," Sadtu said in a statement.

It said Congress of SA Trade Union president Sidumo Dlamini would lead the march in Pretoria, and his second deputy Zingiswa Losi the march in Cape Town.

"The federation fully supports the marches in Cape Town and Pretoria organised by Sadtu, and the demands they are making on the defence of collective bargaining," said Cosatu spokesman Patrick Craven.

The SA Students Congress (Sasco) backed the march. "Sasco fully supports Sadtu in its justifiable struggle against the unilateral withdrawal of collective bargaining agreements by the department of basic education," said Sasco president Ngoako Selamolela.

"This unilateral withdrawal is not only mischievous but a direct undermining of our teachers and the working class in general."

Serious threat

Congress of the People said the protest march posed a threat to education.

"Sadtu's latest call for thousands of teachers to abandon classrooms and join protest action... is a serious threat which could paralyse education, especially in rural areas," said Cope MP Willie Madisha.

"Sadtu must be ashamed of its disgraceful conduct in our school system, because once again the union is victimising the children of our country, particularly the poor children who need the most in the way of development," he said.

On Monday, the basic education department and Sadtu failed to agree on whether the marches were legal.

Sadtu general secretary Mugwena Maluleke said at the time the union had been granted permission by the City of Tshwane to march in Pretoria.

In Pretoria, marchers planned to gather at the old Putco depot in Marabastad at 09:00.

They would march along Cowie, Struben, and Nelson Mandela Streets to the Union Buildings.

In Cape Town, the marchers would gather at 10:30 in Keizergracht and move along Darling, Adderley, Spin, and Plein Streets to Parliament.

Sadtu members have been on a national go-slow since pupils returned from the Easter holiday.

Democratic Alliance MP Annette Lovemore said the march was an attack on pupils' right to learn.

"Sadtu and Cosatu's calls for Grade 10 to 12 learners and teachers to stay away from schools tomorrow and join them in their planned illegal march to Parliament and other locations across the country is a flagrant attack on the constitutional rights of our learners."

Lovemore said she would ask the SA Human Rights Commission to investigate both Sadtu and Cosatu.

Meanwhile, Western Cape education MEC Donald Grant called on pupils to ignore Sadtu's call.

"Parents should enquire what arrangements have been made that learners are supervised should any of their educators not arrive at work," said Grant's spokesperson Bronagh Casey.

Read more on:    sadtu  |  cosatu  |  donald grant  |  angie motshekga  |  annette lovemore  |  bobby soobrayan  |  sidumo dlamini  |  strikes  |  education

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
63 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
PARTNER CONTENT
INFOGRAPHIC: New thinking required for retirement

Everything we believe about retirement is fast becoming outdated.

PARTNER CONTENT
WATCH: How education can change a life

A university education gives students the chance to create a better future for themselves, their families and to opportunity achieve their dreams.

/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.