Top brass to sort out PE problems
Johannesburg - In a bid to quell tensions among its members in Nelson Mandela Bay, a senior contingent of ANC officials arrived in the Eastern Cape metropolitan on Thursday.
"The ANC is deeply concerned and extremely worried with the continued bickering that is taking place here," the party said in a statement.
"The issue of party and state relations, allegation of interference and claims of defiance of organisation instructions is really the bone of contention. We are determine to solve this problem."
The objective of the two-day meeting was to build political trust and highlight accountability, clean governance and administration.
There would also be a focus on fighting fraud and corruption with an emphasis on discipline.
"The ANC expects nothing more or nothing less that building reputable leadership and high standards of integrity. Infighting and intolerance is compromising governance and collapse the umbilical cord that connects council and its people."
The five-member team includes disciplinary committee chair Derek Hanekom, Rural Development Minister Gugile Nkwinti and Eastern Cape representatives.
After meeting all relevant structures, the party said recommendations would be concluded within two weeks and be presented to the elective conference next year.
Earlier this month it was reported that President Jacob Zuma told a gathering at Fort Hare University that infighting between rival factions within the ANC needed to come to an end.
"When the ancestors turn their back on you, you die a political death. That is why, no matter how you feel, don’t fight the ANC," Zuma said according to the Dispatch Online.
In November, the ANC Youth League's regional executive committee was disbanded over allegations of bogus branches and illegal meetings.