W Cape MEC warns bus company

2011-08-18 18:00
Cape Town - Western Cape Transport MEC Robin Carlisle has warned SA Roadlink that threats of legal action will not deter him from "rigorous inspection" of all public transport vehicles in the province.

"Lest there be any misunderstanding, let me make it clear that we will check each and every SA Roadlink bus entering and leaving the province," Carlisle said in a statement on Thursday.

SA Roadlink said on Wednesday that it was seeking legal advice as it believed Carlisle was victimising the company by ordering that all of its buses be inspected.

"We don’t want to get into a legal war. We respect Mr Carlisle as an MEC. We want him to respect us as a company," SA Roadlink fleet manager Piet Cronje told the Cape Times newspaper.

"We are extremely concerned at the lack of inspection of other companies. It would be interesting to review reports by the MEC’s department on the testing of other companies, both local and intercity," Cronje said.

However, Carlisle said the press release was disingenuous, bizarre and completely ignored SA Roadlink's history of crashes and traffic and driver offences around the country.

"Whilst all buses are subject to scrutiny, SA Roadlink will continue to be a key focus of law enforcement attention until such time as they stop sending unsafe and unlicensed buses into our province."

Carlisle said that during his watch as MEC, SA Roadlink had been the most problematic of national bus operators by far.

"The only fatal accident involved a Roadlink bus. We have had to arrest and remove a very drunk driver from a Roadlink bus. We have pulled more unsafe and unlicensed Roadlink buses off the road than for all the other national bus operators together.

"Roadlink are the architect of their own misfortunes.

"If they get their safety act together, their buses will be able to spend more time on the road and less in the pound."

The company's assertion that it was being victimised by the Western Cape department of transport and public works smacked of hypocrisy as the real victims were SA Roadlink passengers and other road users, Carlisle said.
Read more on:    sa roadlink  |  robin carlisle  |  transport

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Amazing solar inventions!

Solar power is lighting up the world, and not just on rooftops anymore.



Prince George the green prince?
One man's $1 million vision for an eco Africa
China's air pollution at doomsday levels
Keep food fresher for longer

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts

There is a tendency to get too caught up in group dynamics and high expectations and ideals, that your own personal needs and...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.