Zuma: Be patient with election lists probe
Cape Town - President Jacob Zuma on Friday urged people to be patient while the issue of possible fraudulent candidate lists in the May 18 municipal election is being resolved.
In his annual address to the National House of Traditional Leaders, he referred to recent protests with people refusing to accept the swearing in of councillors until their complaints about their legitimacy, or lack of it, was resolved.
"The ruling party has appointed a committee to investigate this matter so that we can remove those people who entered the list process fraudulently," he said.
"We urge people to be patient while this matter is being resolved. The disruptions of swearing-in ceremonies and other activities will not resolve the matter."
The mechanisms that had been put in place would certainly assist to correct whatever anomalies might have been created, Zuma said.
The success of the elections and high turnout illustrated the importance South Africans were beginning to place on this sphere of government.
"It also indicated the depth of their concerns with service delivery and municipal accountability," he said.
"With the elections having passed, we have to work harder to improve service delivery in all municipalities."
The government's "operation clean audit" was making steady improvements in the financial and administrative capability in all 283 municipalities.
Functional internal audit units had already been established in 263 municipalities, and 268 had established functional audit committees.
This should go a long way to improve the way finances were managed, Zuma said.