Zuma accepts SABC resignations

2010-10-18 15:00

Cape Town - President Jacob Zuma has received and accepted the resignation of four members of the SA Broadcasting Corporation board, the presidency announced on Monday.

Zuma is the board's "appointing body" in terms of the Broadcasting Act.

The resignations received by the presidency from the communications ministry were those of board deputy chairperson Felleng Sekha, and members Barbara Masekela, David Niddrie, and Makgatho Mello.

"President Zuma has thanked the former board members for their contribution to the SABC and wished them well in their future endeavours," the statement read.

Last week, Business Day reported that Masekela, former ambassador to France and prominent member of the ANC, was the first to resign, followed by Mello, Sekha, and Niddrie.

The newspaper quoted a "senior SABC official" as having said the board was frustrated with the government's inaction on the SABC's woes.

The board felt isolated, as first the communications department and then Parliament's communications committee failed to intervene, despite the board on May 22 announcing a breakdown of trust with its chairperson Ben Ngubane.

The breakdown was over Ngubane's move to appoint Phil Molefe as head of news - while the board was reviewing candidates, it said.