News24

Zuma lecture disruption: 2 go on trial

2012-07-26 22:20

Cape Town - The two men accused of hurling a chair at a news photographer during a memorial lecture by President Jacob Zuma in February, are to go on trial in August.

Sibusiso Nkomiyahlaba, 25, and Siviwe Gxothiwe, 27, appeared in the Cape Town District Court on Thursday, where Magistrate Zwelidumile Sogwagwa postponed the case to 16 August.

The men would be informed of the date on which to appear in the Regional Court on 16 August, Sogwagwa said.

Nkomiyahlaba and Gxothiwe initially faced charges of public violence for allegedly participating in the disruption of Zuma's speech at the Good Hope Centre, near the Cape Town CBD, on the night of February 23.

The charges were changed to assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm.

The men were released on R500 bail in February, but Sogwagwa ordered that Gxothiwe's bail be forfeited to the State because he failed to appear in court twice.

His court appearance on Thursday was under an arrest warrant.

Prosecutor Anneke Snyman told the court there was no need for a formal inquiry into the reasons for his failure to appear in court on the previous two occasions, because his bail had already been forfeited and could not be reinstated.

Comments
  • irene.buthelezi.1 - 2012-07-27 02:01

    Good on them for disrupting the ignorant words spewing from this raping, polygamist's mouth. Sies!

  • Lyndatjie - 2012-07-27 03:15

    A news cameraman - not photographer! News24 - do you even have an Editor?

  • edna.errenrich - 2012-07-27 04:06

    Murder a baby and care giver R1000 bail - throw a chair near Zuma R500 bail,great system

  • pages:
  • 1