ARTICLES RELATING TO OXFAM

Six richest nations host under 9% of refugees

2016-07-18 20:24

The six richest countries - which make up more than half the global economy - host less than 9% of the world's refugees, an aid group has said.

Video
BY THE NUMBERS: 62 people own as much wealth as half the world combined

Oxfam has released a report detailing the breakdown of wealth and inequality in the world. They have revealed that 1% of people own more wealth than the remaining 99%. Watch for all the statistics.

0 comments2327 Views

62 wealthiest people own as much as half the world

2016-01-18 10:03

A report by UK-charity Oxfam calls for a crackdown on tax havens as the world's wealthiest hide $7.6 trillion from taxes.

Key global development summit to open in Ethiopia

2015-07-13 07:51

World leaders are meeting in Ethiopia’s capital for a development financing summit presented as crucial for the UN efforts to end global poverty and manage climate change by 2030.

Desperate hunger, but no famine, in South Sudan

2015-05-28 07:52

Millions of people are going hungry in South Sudan 17-months after civil war began, with conditions predicted to deteriorate.

South Africa's fight for the right for food

2015-03-16 13:47

After months of back and forth, civil society may finally get an opportunity to meet with the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries on its latest strategy to combat hunger in South Africa.

Pee powered lights possible

2015-03-05 22:32

British scientists have unveiled a toilet that unlocks energy stored within urine to generate electricity in urine-tricity project.

AU pledges Ebola fund

2015-01-28 19:07

The African Union plans to launch an Ebola Solidarity Fund as aid agency Oxfam warned the continent's leaders needed to keep their promises to boost healthcare.

80 people have the same wealth as 3.5 billion - Oxfam

2015-01-19 07:32

Wealth accumulated by the richest 1% will exceed that of the other 99% in 2016, Oxfam has said ahead of the annual meeting of the world's most powerful at Davos.

One in four South Africans go hungry

2014-10-16 12:06

A quarter of South Africans regularly suffer from hunger, according to a new study.

 

Oxfam: $1.9bn in Ebola aid not delivered by donors

2016-01-31 22:14

International donors have failed to deliver $1.9bn in promised funds to help West African countries recover from the Ebola epidemic that killed more than 11 000 people, Oxfam says.

Wealth of 62 richest same as 3.6bn people combined

2016-01-18 12:48

The global economy is broken and failing the majority of people, with the richest 1% owning more wealth than the rest of the world combined, according to a report.

Millions in Yemen on brink of starvation - Oxfam

2015-07-28 22:30

More than 6 million people in Yemen are on the verge of starvation, Oxfam has warned.

Climate deal lies outside the UN arena

2015-06-12 20:22

The marathon effort to forge a world pact on climate change now hinges on what happens outside the UN arena in the coming months.

South Sudan new aid bill a problem

2015-05-12 21:20

A new South Sudan bill requires international aid agencies, civic organizations and volunteer groups to employ South Sudanese in 80% of staff positions.

DRC rights violations rife despite peace - Oxfam

2015-03-07 14:36

A two-year peace deal in the DRC has done little to improve human rights, with armed groups and state security forces abusing civilians with impunity, a report says.

UN warns Ebola epidemic not yet contained

2015-01-29 14:50

The Ebola epidemic is decreasing but is still present in a third of the areas of the three worst affected west African nations, the UN warns.

Oxfam: Marshall Plan needed for Ebola-hit Africa

2015-01-27 20:54

Ebola-hit west Africa needs a multi-million dollar recovery plan similar to that of war-ravaged Europe in the 1940s, Oxfam has claimed.

EU to scale up Ebola response

2014-10-19 12:42

European foreign ministers are set to meet under pressure to scale up their response to the Ebola epidemic after warnings it could become the "disaster of our generation".

Sleeping in a swamp: South Sudan battles to survive

2014-10-15 12:04

Outside, in the war-zone state of South Sudan, citizens say they are too fearful to venture, frightened of revenge attacks in a civil war that entered its eleventh month.

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.