Inequality ignored at Davos - ILO chief

2015-01-20 12:46

World leaders meeting in Davos this week are likely to agree that inequality is a problem but unlikely to do anything about it, says the ILO chief.

80 people have the same wealth as 3.5 billion - Oxfam

2015-01-19 07:32

Wealth accumulated by the richest 1% will exceed that of the other 99% in 2016, Oxfam has said ahead of the annual meeting of the world's most powerful at Davos.

SA policies lift 3.6m out of poverty - report

2014-11-04 17:23

South Africa's fiscal policies lifted 3.6 million people out of poverty in 2010/11, a World Bank report has found.

Social pensions a way to tackle inequality

2014-10-01 08:32

The rising global trend of tax-financed social pensions could be a game-changer in improving the wellbeing of older people, an index has found.

PETITION: 11 year old “willing” rape victim

2014-08-13 15:37

In the face of criminal injustice, especially violence against women, the DPP must appeal.

The inequality debate

2014-06-19 07:09

A democracy must find the balance between freedom and equality, says Leopold Scholtz.

SA's post-election path

2014-05-15 07:29

The big question is how the ANC will work with voters' trust, says Leopold Scholtz.

Redistribution and growth

2014-05-08 07:45

Can redistribution promote growth through greater equality, asks Jac Laubscher.

The short-termism plague

2014-04-03 07:17

Are South Africa’s policies promoting progress or regress, asks Geoffrey Chapman.

Power and money in spotlight at UWC

2014-03-09 09:02

The wage and welfare gap is proving a potent political weapon, and it was wielded with considerable effect at a UWC mass meeting.

Manuel: Invest in people, not minerals

2013-09-04 11:21

South Africans need to harness collective power to promote social economic development, says Minister in the Presidency Trevor Manuel.

Luhabe: World needs economic revolution

2013-02-15 15:21

The global economy is out of kilter and needs a new breed of entrepreneur who can combine profit with a social conscience, says social entrepreneur Wendy Luhabe.

All my own work, huh?

2012-11-19 07:07

Few make it to the top entirely on their own merits, says Mandi Smallhorne.

Pay disparities persist - Zuma

2012-10-30 14:41

Census 2011 results show the black majority remains worst affected by poverty, unemployment, and inequality, says President Jacob Zuma.

Gigaba: Environment matters to business

2012-07-13 11:22

A sustainable future is non-negotiable if South Africa is to solve problems such as poverty and inequality, says Public Enterprises Minister Malusi Gigaba.

Income inequality divides SA - survey

2012-05-23 22:00

Economic liberation or the lack thereof is the most divisive issue in the country, according to a survey.

Zuma: Business in townships needed

2012-05-15 12:58

Meaningful economic activity in townships and rural villages and towns is needed to fight poverty, unemployment and inequality, says President Jacob Zuma.

SA economy adds 80 000 jobs in January

2012-02-13 10:43

Although jobs were created, the economy is still 420 000 jobs short of the peak employment level before the 2009 global financial crisis, says Adcorp.

NPC targets 11 million jobs by 2030

2011-11-11 15:38

The National Planning Commission says SA can create 11 million new jobs by 2030 if an environment for sustainable employment and economic growth is created.

Cosatu lambastes top-earning CEOs

2010-12-06 18:44

Inequality in South Africa is even worse than previously thought, the Congress of South African Trade Unions says.


80 people have the same wealth as 3.5 billion - Oxfam

2015-01-19 11:01

Wealth accumulated by the richest 1% will exceed that of the other 99% in 2016, Oxfam has said ahead of the annual meeting of the world's most powerful at Davos.

Wage growth stagnates, lags pre-crisis rates

2014-12-06 07:10

The latest ILO Global Wage Report warns of stalled wages in many countries and points to the labour market as a driver of inequality.

Ramaphosa calls for urgent labour fixes

2014-11-04 11:29

Solutions to income inequality and labour market instability are needed to improve the economy and the lives of millions in SA, says Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa.

What is fair in corporate vs labour?

2014-08-14 01:10

Fin24 user Janet Pretorius has been grappling with the subject of the gaping income gap for a couple of years and is still looking for answers on fair pay.

Let's up the minimum wage

2014-07-14 07:18

A higher minimum wage will have a trickle-up economic effect, says Mandi Smallhorne.

SA striking itself into poverty

2014-06-06 06:57

With millions of work days lost, South Africa is clearly striking itself into a low growth trap and increasing inequality, warns economist Mike Schüssler.

Africa must do more to tackle inequality

2014-05-08 11:31

African governments should work harder to ensure the benefits of a decade of economic growth are spread equitably, says a report by ex-UN head Kofi Annan.

Rich man, poor man

2014-04-24 07:28

Culture change from below is the only way to overcome poverty, says Leopold Scholtz.

The price of inequality

2014-03-13 07:18

Leopold Scholtz looks at the tricky balance between growth and freedom.

Invest in education, urges Marcus

2013-10-30 09:07

Reserve Bank governor Gill Marcus says the most important investment of all is in young people's education, as this can break SA's cycle of inequality and poverty.

A cure for our ills?

2013-03-11 07:37

Chavez' economic heresies make a lot of sense, says Mandi Smallhorne.

Real girl power needed

2013-01-14 09:06

The fight for equality is a long way from over, says Mandi Smallhorne.

Gigaba: High price to pay for inequality

2012-11-13 09:39

We all realise inequality will cost us dear and it is a social curse we will bear heavily if nothing is done, says Public Enterprises Minister Malusi Gigaba.

World Bank sees lower SA growth

2012-07-24 21:46

The World Bank has cut its growth forecast for SA to 2.5% from 3.1%, saying the country is vulnerable to weakened global economic conditions.

Know your trade rights

2012-07-05 15:37

Geoffrey Chapman alerts on trade barriers.

Sacci: SA must tackle unique circumstances

2012-06-08 16:04

The country must come to terms with its own unique circumstances to create jobs and address inequality, says the SA Chamber of Commerce and Industry.

Vavi: Global priorities are wrong

2012-05-16 16:52

The global financial crisis and its consequences are a direct result of the greed and waste defining global capitalism, says Cosatu general secretary Zwelinzima Vavi.

Infrastructure plan will aid jobs

2012-02-14 16:12

ANC chief whip Mathole Motshekga says the state's capital expenditure plan will create jobs and help tackle poverty.

NPC: SA needs paradigm shift on poverty

2011-11-11 15:28

The National Planning Commission says SA can reduce poverty and inequality over the next 20 years if it undergoes a paradigm shift.

Jobs in Cape Town [change area]

Property [change area]

Travel - Look, Book, Go! - shop online today

Save up to 40% on outdoor accessories!

Tents, sleeping, day packs and more. While stocks last. Shop now!

Month End Madness Sale!

Save up to 60% on across a wide range of goods from books to electronics, DVDs and many more. Sale end 31 January 2015. Shop now!

Valentine’s Day gifts – 14 Feb!

Gifts to spoil him and her. While stocks last. Shop now!

30% off fragrances

Get 30% off fragrances for him and her. While stocks last. Shop now!

Up to 30% off All Textbooks

Save up to 30% off an extensive range of prescribed textbooks for all major universities and FET colleges. Shop Now!

OLX Free Classifieds [change area]

Samsung Galaxy s4

Mobile, Cell Phones in South Africa, Western Cape, Cape Town. Date October 24

Best bargain in big bay

Real Estate, Houses - Apartments for Sale in South Africa, Western Cape, Cape Town. Date October 25

VW Golf 6, 1.6 Trendline (Excellent condition)

Vehicles, Cars in South Africa, Western Cape, Cape Town. Date October 25

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.