Costa Concordia captain trial delayed

2013-07-10 09:20

Grosseto - The manslaughter trial of the captain of the Costa Concordia cruise ship, which capsized off Italy's coast last year killing 32 people, began on Tuesday and was immediately suspended because of a lawyers' strike.

The giant Concordia flipped on its side outside the Tuscan port of Giglio in January 2012 after it struck rocks during a manoeuvre that brought it too close to shore.

Captain Francesco Schettino, who left the ship before all its crew and passengers had been rescued, faces charges including multiple manslaughter and abandoning ship.

He argues he managed to prevent a worse disaster by steering the vessel into shallow waters after the impact to help the rescue operation.

He attended the hearing in the Tuscan town of Grosseto wearing a blue suit and sunglasses, declining to answer questions from a scrum of reporters.

Domnica Cemortan, a Moldovan woman who has said she was with Schettino at the time of the accident, watched the short hearing. Prosecutors have said they will call her as a witness.

The trial was immediately postponed until July 17 because the lawyers involved in the case were taking part in a nationwide strike protesting against measures to streamline civil trials.

The Concordia accident triggered a chaotic night-time evacuation of more than 4,000 passengers and crew from the 290-metre-long ship, which still rests on a rock shelf outside Giglio port.

If found guilty, Schettino could face up to 20 years in jail, which his lawyer Domenico Pepe said was disproportionate, adding that events had been misconstrued.

"The captain did not abandon the ship, he fell off of it," as the cruise liner tilted, Pepe told reporters after the hearing.

State prosecutors rejected a plea bargain offer from Schettino in May but accepted those of five other officials, including four ship's officers and the crisis coordinator of the vessel's owners, Costa Cruises.

Daniele Bocciolini, a lawyer representing victims, told reporters on Tuesday he hoped investigations would show that the trial should be widened to include all those responsible.

"I think, even though Schettino is the only one on trial, he is not the only one responsible," Bocciolini told reporters.

Costa Cruises, a unit of Carnival Corp , agreed to pay a 1m euro (R12m at R12,79/euro) fine to settle potential criminal charges in April. That means that for now Schettino is the only person facing trial. 

Read more on:    travel international

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

SHARE: publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside Travel


#FindYourEscape with Traveller24

Your insider guide to exploring South Africa and the world...
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.