Thousands of victims evicted

2006-02-08 16:34

New Orleans - Hauling everything he owned in a plastic garbage bag, Darryl Travis walked out of the chandeliered lobby of the Crowne Plaza, joining the exodus of Hurricane Katrina refugees evicted from their hotel rooms across the country.

The occupants of more than 4 500 government-paid hotel rooms were ordered to turn in their keys on Tuesday, as the Federal Emergency Management Agency began cutting off money to pay for their stays.

Far more people - the occupants of at least 20 000 hotel rooms, many of which housed entire families - were given extensions by Fema until at least next week and possibly until March 1, said Fema spokesperson Butch Kinerney.

Fema said it gave people every possible opportunity to request an extension.

'Bent over backwards'

"We've bent over backward to reach out. We've gone door-to-door to all of the 25 000 hotel rooms no fewer than six times. And there are individuals who have refused to come to the door, refused to answer. There are people who have run when they saw us coming - those are the ones that are now moving on," Kinerney said.

Fema maintains that as many as 80% of those being forced to check out this week have made other living arrangements, ranging from trailers to receiving federal rent assistance to living with relatives.

While many of the evacuees leaving the Crowne Plaza said they had found other housing, several said they were now homeless.

Travis, 24, and his five childhood friends - all in their 20s - had been living on the floor of another evacuee's hotel room, never having registered.

"All I got is a couple pairs of pants and some shirts. The pressure is on," said Jonathan Gautier, 26, one of the six, who was also carrying a single plastic bag filled with clothes.

Wheeling out her boxes of belongings, 20-year-old Katie Kinkella and sister, Jennifer, were heading back to their ruined house in heavily flooded St Bernard Parish. The sisters had stayed first at the Marriott, and later at the Crowne Plaza as they waited for Fema to deliver a trailer. Then they waited for Fema to hook up the electricity at the trailer.

"They just connected it yesterday," Kinkella said as she loaded bags, boxes and suitcases into the back of a pickup on the curb outside the hotel.

In Houston, where 4 000 evacuees were staying in hotels, around 80% had received permission to extend their stays until at least Monday. The remaining 20% either failed to contact Fema or made other housing arrangements, said Frank Michel, a spokesperson for Mayor Bill White.

"People need to begin to take responsibility for themselves," Michel said.

In New York and Oakland, California, protesters have demonstrated against the evictions.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.