Four die in flash flood at Italy festival

2014-08-03 16:41

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Rome - Four people died in a flash flood that tore through a festival in Italy on Saturday night, sweeping away residents, tents and cars in a muddy torrent.

After a sudden 10-minute burst of heavy rain during the local festival in Refrontolo near Venice, the Lierza river burst its banks, local officials and media reported on Sunday.

The bodies of four men were discovered, some of them as far as one kilometre from the area of the festivities, rescue officials said.

Local authorities said eight people had been injured in the flooding, which turned a local street into a raging river as the waters carried away tents, vehicles and stands.

Rescue workers were battling on Sunday to protect the 17th century Molinetto della Croda mill which sits beside the river.

Initial media reports said as many as 20 people had been hurt.

Six remained in hospital, one in intensive care, according to the president of the Veneto region, Luca Zaia, who flew over the disaster zone by helicopter.

"When we arrived at the festival site, instead of a street we found a river which was more than a metre high," a firefighter told the Italian news agency ANSA.

President Giorgio Napolitano issued a statement to express his condolences to the families of the victims and "solidarity" with local residents.

Environment Minister Gian Luca Galletti said the tragedy was a reminder of the need to address the "structural fragility" of the land in some areas.

According to a report by the Institute of Atmospheric Sciences and Climate in Bologna, rainfall in July this year was 74% higher than the average for the month between 1971 and 2000.

The number of regions hit by flooding has doubled to eight in the last 10 years, according to Italy's main environmental organisation Legambiente which has called for more money to be spent on prevention.

In November last year, flash floods in and around the Sardinian port of Olbia left 17 people dead and thousands homeless.

Read more on:    italy

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.