News24

100s of workers ill with food poisoning

2011-12-09 11:12

Hanoi - More than 300 employees of a glove factory in central Vietnam have been hospitalised with suspected food poisoning from their work lunch, company and hospital sources said on Friday.

The employees of Hai Vina Kim Lien Co Ltd started suffering dizziness and nausea after their lunch on Thursday, a company official said on condition of anonymity.

"No one was killed but more than 80 workers are still in hospital on Friday," said Tran Khac Anh, director of Nam Dan General Hospital where the workers were being treated. "The initial investigation shows they have food poisoning."

"The factory stopped working on Friday because the company leaders have to work with local authorities to investigate the incident," the company official said. "Workers will return to work on Saturday."

One of the victims said she thought the pork in her lunch smelled bad but ate it anyway, Thanh Nien newspaper reported.

The company said it did not prepare the food, but employed three nearby restaurants to provide the cooked meals.

The factory in Nam Dan District of Nghe An province employs about 2 000 workers to make gloves for export.