17 more charged over Istanbul airport attack

2016-07-05 15:22
A handout photo released by the Turkish Presidential press office shows Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan (left) at the scene of the attack on Atatürk Airport in Istanbul on Saturday.

A handout photo released by the Turkish Presidential press office shows Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan (left) at the scene of the attack on Atatürk Airport in Istanbul on Saturday. (Murat Cetin Muhurdar, Turkish Presidential Press O)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Istanbul - Seventeen people - 11 Russians and 6 Turks - have been charged over the Istanbul airport attack, Dogan news agency reported on Tuesday, bringing to 30 the total number charged over the suicide assault.

The latest suspects were charged with "belonging to an armed terrorist group".

Ankara says ISIS is behind the June 28 gun and bomb attack at Atatürk International Airport, which left 45 people dead.

Thirteen suspects had already been charged Sunday in connection with the worst of several attacks to hit Turkey's biggest city this year.

Police also detained two suspected ISIS jihadists - Kyrgyz nationals - at the airport on Sunday. Night-vision goggles and military clothing were reportedly found in their suitcases, along with passports in different names.

The men had just arrived in Istanbul from Ukraine, NTV television reported.

Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said Monday that security was being boosted at sensitive Istanbul sites such as metro stations, with 80 Special Forces troops patrolling Atatürk Airport.

Of more than 200 people injured in last week's attack, 47 are still in hospital.

Authorities have identified the bombers as a Russian, an Uzbek and a Kyrgyz national.

State news agency Anadolu named two of them as Rakim Bulgarov and Vadim Osmanov, without giving their nationalities.

Central Asia's former Soviet republics have been a major source of foreign jihadists travelling to fight with ISIS and other extremist groups in Iraq and Syria.

Turkish media have identified the strike's organiser as Akhmed Chatayev, the Chechen leader of an ISIS cell in Istanbul who allegedly masterminded two other deadly attacks that killed tourists in the city.

Turkey has been rocked by a series of attacks over the past year, blamed on both ISIS jihadists and Kurdish rebels.


Read more on:    isis  |  turkey

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.