2 Nato bases attacked

2010-08-28 13:27

Kabul - Afghan police say insurgents launched a pair of pre-dawn attacks on Nato bases in eastern Afghanistan.

There was no word on casualties in the attacks early on Saturday on the sprawling Forward Operating Base Salerno in Khost province and nearby Camp Chapman, where a suicide bomber in December killed seven CIA employees.

Major Wazir Pacha of the provincial police headquarters said attackers used heavy machine guns and rocket propelled grenades, but had been beaten back into cornfields surrounding the bases.

He said police had captured a pickup truck laden with ammunition as well as a light truck packed with explosives that had become stuck in deep mud.