News24

3 Iranians facing arrest over Delhi blast

2012-03-15 11:15

New Delhi - An Indian court has issued arrest warrants for three Iranians in connection with a bombing attack last month on an Israeli diplomat's wife, police said on Thursday.

Israel has accused Iran of orchestrating the February 13 attack that wounded the diplomat's wife and three others with a bomb attached to her car by a magnet. Indian authorities have not implicated Iran in the bombing, even as the police investigation appears to be centering on people with Iranian ties.

Last week police arrested an Indian freelance journalist who reportedly worked for Iranian news organisations to investigate possible links to the bombing.

On Wednesday, a New Delhi court issued a warrant seeking the arrest of the three men accused of being involved in the blast and then leaving the country immediately afterward.

The men were identified as Housan Afshar, Syed Ali Mehdi Sadr and Mohammed Reza Abolghasemi, according to a police official who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The police official said the government would approach Interpol for help in locating and extraditing the men, whose whereabouts are not known.

Israel has blamed Iran for the New Delhi explosion, as well as two others, one the same day in the former Soviet republic of Georgia and the other the next day in Thailand. Iran has denied involvement.