3 Americans held captive in Yemen freed, flown to Oman

2015-11-20 08:12


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Dubai - Three Americans held captive by Shi'ite rebels in Yemen's capital have been freed and were flown to neighboring Oman, Oman's state news agency and officials in Yemen said on Thursday.

The short English-language statement on the Oman News Agency said only that the US State Department had asked Oman to bring the Americans out of the country. It did not elaborate or provide information on their identities.

However, independent security officials in Yemen and members of the Shi'ite rebels known as Houthis said the Americans had been detained for at least two months at a Houthi security building in the rebel-held capital of Sanaa.

The rebels and the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity as they weren't authorised to brief journalists, did not say why the Americans were held. Two of them were working with the United Nations, the officials said, while offering no information about the third.

The Houthis previously said they had detained two Americans on suspicion of being spies, but it wasn't immediately clear if those two were included in the release.

Some foreigners have been held in recent months by fighters involved in the country's ongoing civil war, either as political hostages or for ransom.

The Oman News Agency quoted an unnamed Foreign Ministry official in its report as saying: "The three US citizens were transported from Sanaa to Muscat onboard, one of the Royal Air Force of Oman aircrafts, after which they will return to their country."

The US Embassy in Muscat had no immediate comment.

Nuclear programme

On November 10, US officials announced detained American contractor John Hamen, who worked for a company managing UN facilities in Sanaa, had died there, without saying what killed him. Hamen and another American had arrived in Yemen from Djibouti on a UN aircraft on October 20.

In September, the Houthis released six foreign hostages, including two Americans, after negotiations conducted by Omani officials. That came after the release in June of American freelance journalist Casey Coombs. Following Coombs' release, which Oman also mediated, State Department spokesperson Marie Harf said US officials were working to win the release of several Americans detained in Yemen.

Yemen, the Arab world's poorest nation, has been embroiled in fighting that pits the Iran-backed Houthis and forces loyal to a former president against the Saudi-backed and internationally recognised government. The Saudi-led coalition has been carrying out airstrikes against the rebels and their allies since March, fearful of Iranian influence spreading across the Arabian Peninsula.

Others fighting the Houthis include southern separatists, local militias and Sunni extremists like Yemen's al-Qaeda branch, considered by Washington to be the most dangerous offshoot of the terror network.

At least 5 700 people have been killed in the conflict in Yemen since March 26, including 830 women and children, the UN said on Wednesday. The war has pushed the country to the brink of famine, as the UN says over 21 million people, 80% of the population need humanitarian assistance.

The quiet sultanate of Oman, long a go-to negotiator in the Mideast, stands apart from its Gulf Arab neighbors in not joining the Saudi-led coalition. It instead has positioned itself as a quiet mediator by hosting talks involving the rebels and other parties. It also was crucial in facilitating negotiations between the US and Iran over the Islamic Republic's contested nuclear programme.

Meanwhile, in Yemen's third largest city, Taiz, rebel shelling killed nine civilians, including women and children, as hundreds of pro-government Yemeni troops from neighboring Saudi Arabia arrived in the contested central province of Marib, security officials said. The troops had been receiving military training in the kingdom since March, they added.

The officials, who remain neutral in the conflict that has splintered Yemen's armed forces, also spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorised to brief reporters.

Read more on:    us  |  oman  |  yemen  |  abductions

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.