3-year anniversary of MH370 tragedy marked with private service

2017-03-08 11:29
(File)(AP)

(File)(AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Video

After nearly three years the search for flight MH370 has officially been called off

2017-01-18 15:07

The search for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 ended on Tuesday, after nearly three years of multi-million dollar quest to find remains. WATCH

Canberra – The Australian government minister in charge of the suspended seabed search for the Malaysia Airlines jet told victims' families and friends at an anniversary church service on Wednesday that he remained hopeful that Flight MH370 would be found.

Darren Chester, minister for infrastructure and transport, and Angus Houston, the former Australian defence chief who co-ordinated the early months of the search efforts, were among around 100 people who attended the private ceremony at St John's Anglican Cathedral in the east city of Brisbane to mark the third anniversary of the mysterious tragedy.

Several victims and relatives of the 239 passengers and crew aboard the Boeing 777 live in or near Brisbane.

Chester told the congregation that included families of New Zealand victim Paul Weeks, and Australians Robert and Catherine Lawton and Rodney and Mary Burrows that searchers had tried their best to end the uncertainty surrounding the crash.

"While to date we have been unsuccessful, we remain hopeful that at some stage in the future, there will be a breakthrough, the aircraft will be found, and we will be able to answer more of your questions," Chester said.

Suspended search

He told the gathering that included diplomats from Malaysia, China and New Zealand that a memorial to the lost passengers and crew would be erected in the west coast city of Perth which had been a base for Indian Ocean air and sea search crews.

Chester said before the service that he understood the frustration that many would feel on the anniversary of the tragedy that there was no longer an active search for the crash site.

Australia, Malaysia and China in January suspended the sonar search for the airliner after a sweep of 120 000 square kilometres of the Indian Ocean southwest of Australia failed to find any trace. The airliner, for unknown reasons, flew far off course during a flight from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, to Beijing on March 8, 2014.

Chester declined to comment on a suggestion by some relatives of raising funds to continue a private search of the ocean floor.

"I'm not going to offer advice to those who want to fundraise privately to extend the search, but from the Australians government's perspective, the search remains suspended," Chester told the AP.

Alleged series of catastrophic failures

Australia's prime minister at the time of the tragedy, Tony Abbott, said in a newspaper interview last month that areas north and south of the searched zone should also be examined.

"When you've got nearly 240 people missing, the greatest mystery of modern times, as long as there is any reasonable prospective place to search, you just keep searching," Abbott told News Corp Australia.

Abbott, who remains a government lawmaker, said "the most plausible scenario" was that a pilot had deliberately crashed the plane. A pilot could have flown the plane further south than the area searched, Abbott said. Abbott had not responded by Wednesday to a request for comment.

A lawsuit filed in the United States on behalf of the families of 44 people on board Flight MH370 alleges a series of catastrophic electrical and other failures may have led to the crash.

The lawsuit, filed on Friday against Boeing in the US District Court in South Carolina, names seven malfunctions, from an electrical fire to depressurisation of the plane's cabin, that could have led to the crew losing consciousness, the plane's transponder stopping its transmission and the plane flying undetected until it crashed after running out of fuel.

Read more on:    australia  |  mh370

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/World

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.