5 die as Kabul suicide attack foiled

2012-08-02 20:37
Ammunition seized during a gunfight with five insurgents who were planning a suicide. (Shah Marai, AFP)

Ammunition seized during a gunfight with five insurgents who were planning a suicide. (Shah Marai, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Kabul - Afghan officials said on Thursday that five insurgents linked to the Haqqani network were killed in a pre-dawn gun battle, claiming to have foiled a major attack on an area of Kabul home to Western embassies.

A spokesperson for Afghanistan's national directorate of security intelligence agency said that three vehicles loaded with explosives were seized, along with suicide vests, rockets, hand grenades and machine-guns.

Lutfullah Mashal said forces discovered maps pinpointing intended targets in central Kabul, including the diplomatic enclave of Wazir Akbar Khan and nearby Shar-i-Naw, but refused to provide further details for security reasons.

The militants - who also had all-enveloping burqas to disguise themselves as women - had planned to seize a tall building from which to fire on their targets, he said.

Biggest attack

The scale of the preparations and the targets, as unveiled by Afghan officials, suggest an attempt at an assault along the lines of the biggest coordinated attack on the capital in 10 years of war, which occurred on 15 April this year.

Then, three squads of suicide attackers - described later by Western officials as members of the al-Qaeda-linked Haqqani network - took up positions in high buildings and fired on government offices, embassies and military bases.

Seventeen hours of fighting left 51 dead, including 36 attackers.

Acting on intelligence reports on Thursday, security forces raided a house in the eastern Pul-e-Charkhi neighbourhood and a gunfight erupted after the militants refused to surrender, Mashal said.

"The gunfight lasted for six hours and a total of five insurgents were killed," Mashal said.

Interior ministry spokesperson Sediq Sediqqi confirmed the death toll was five and added that "all indications and evidence shows they were linked to Haqqani".


The Haqqani network is a faction of the Afghan Taliban whose leaders are based in neighbouring Pakistan, where Islamabad has come under immense US pressure to wage an offensive against the group.

The US Senate last week passed a resolution urging the state department to put the Haqqani network - accused of a series of spectacular commando-style raids in Kabul - on the US list of terrorist groups.

US and Afghan officials say the network commands the support of Pakistan's intelligence agency, the ISI.

The Nato commander in Afghanistan, US General John Allen, held talks in Islamabad on Thursday with Pakistan's army chief, General Ashfaq Kayani, and said later that "significant progress" was being made in improving cooperation.

No reference was made to the Haqqani network.


The alleged attack was foiled in the capital after Nato reported an escalation in insurgent attacks in recent months, and amid growing unrest in areas neighbouring Kabul.

Nato's International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said last week that attacks in the second quarter of this year were 11% higher than in the same period last year.

The month of June alone saw the highest number of attacks in nearly two years, with more than 100 assaults a day across the country, including firefights and roadside bombings, the US-led coalition said.

In the latest attack, on Thursday, two Nato soldiers were killed by a roadside bomb in southern Afghanistan, ISAF said.

Nato has 130 000 troops helping the government of President Hamid Karzai fight a 10-year insurgency waged by the Taliban since the hardline Islamists were toppled from power in a US-led invasion in 2001.

But the international troops are scheduled to pull out of Afghanistan by the end of 2014, handing responsibility for security to government forces.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
Read more on:    al-qaeda  |  nato  |  afghanistan  |  security

Beirut protest turns violent

2015-10-08 22:24

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Rugby World Cup 2015

All the action from the 2015 RWC, including live coverage of all 48 matches, breaking news, fixtures, results, logs - and much more!


Rugby World Cup 2015

De Allende's star burns bright
Boks were 'in a dark space'
Pacific island teams singled out for rough tactics?
Ireland favourites but France bullish
Traffic Alerts

It is always easier to notice the faults in others rather than face our own. Focusing too much on the perfect and ideal scenario...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.