5 ex-cops plead guilty in bridge shootings after Katrina

2016-04-20 22:11
In this August 30 2005 file photo, floodwaters from Hurricane Katrina fill the streets near down town New Orleans.

In this August 30 2005 file photo, floodwaters from Hurricane Katrina fill the streets near down town New Orleans.

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

New Orleans - Five former police officers pleaded guilty on Wednesday to a reduced number of charges in the deadly shootings on the Danziger Bridge in the days following Hurricane Katrina and are expected to be sentenced to far less prison time than they originally faced.

The officers were convicted in 2011, but US District Judge Kurt Engelhardt set aside the jury's verdict two years later because of misconduct by federal prosecutors -  including anonymous online comments about the case.

Four of the former officers have been locked up for nearly six years while the fifth has been out on bond. Their original convictions called for them to serve anywhere from 65 years to six years in prison. The plea deal has them serving a range of 12 to three years.

On September 4 2005, days after the levees failed and water swamped the city, police gunned down 17-year-old James Brissette and 40-year-old Ronald Madison, who were both unarmed, and wounded four others on the Danziger Bridge. To cover it up, the officers planted a gun, fabricated witnesses and falsified reports, prosecutors have said.

Police said at the time the officers were responding to a report of other officers down when they came under fire.

However, after hearing from five dozen witnesses and examining 400 pieces of evidence during a month-long trial, a federal jury convicted the officers for opening fire and trying to cover up wrongdoing.

Former officer Robert Faulcon was sentenced to 65 years in prison; ex-sergeants Kenneth Bowen and Robert Gisevius each received 40 years; Anthony Villavaso got 38 years; and Arthur Kaufman, now out on bond, received a six-year sentence.

Under the new plea agreement, they will get credit for time served and they could be released from prison anywhere from the next one to six years.

A scandal involving Justice Department employees unravelled the convictions and sentences. In September 2013, the judge said the case had been tainted by "grotesque prosecutorial misconduct", including leaks to media and posting of anonymous comments by at least three government attorneys on a New Orleans newspaper's website.

Prosecutors have argued that there is no evidence the misconduct affected the verdict.

Read more on:    us  |  natural disasters  |  hurricane katrina

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.