52 wounded still hospitalised after Istanbul airport attack

2016-07-02 20:48
Turkish rescue services members help a wounded person outside Istanbul's Ataturk airport. (Ismail Coskun, AP)

Turkish rescue services members help a wounded person outside Istanbul's Ataturk airport. (Ismail Coskun, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Istanbul – Fifty-two people are still being treated in the hospital four days after suicide bombing attacks at Istanbul's Ataturk Airport killed at least 44 others, the city's governor said on Saturday.

The governorate said 184 airport victims have been discharged from hospitals so far, including 13 people released on Saturday. It said 20 people were still in intensive care.

Three militants armed with assault rifles and suicide bombs attacked one of the world's busiest airports on Tuesday night. Although no one has claimed responsibility for the airport attack, Turkish officials say they believe it was the work of the Islamic State group.

Turkish authorities have detained at least 24 people in raids in several Istanbul neighbourhoods over possible connections to the attack. Seventeen other people were detained in the province of Gaziantep, the state-run Anadolu Agency reported.

Prosecutors have established the identity of two of the airport attackers — giving their names as Rakim Bulgarov and Vadim Osmanov — and were trying to identify the third, Anadolu said. Other media reports have given different versions of Osmanov's name.

Investigators' attentions have reportedly focused on whether a Chechen extremist known to be a top lieutenant in the Islamic State group masterminded the attack.

US Rep Michael McCaul, chairperson of the House Committee on Homeland Security, told CNN that Akhmed Chatayev directed the attack. The CIA and White House declined to comment on McCaul's assertion and officials said the investigation of the bombing is still ongoing. McCaul could not be reached for further comment.

Turkish officials also were not able to confirm Chatayev's possible role in the deadly attack. The Sabah newspaper, which is close to the Turkish government, said police had launched a manhunt for him.

The Islamic State group, which has used the porous border with Turkey to establish itself in neighbouring Syria and Iraq, has repeatedly threatened Turkey. In turn, Turkey has blamed ISIS for several major bombings in the past year in Ankara and Istanbul.

Read more on:    turkey  |  isis

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.