A380 failure blamed on oil fire

2010-12-03 12:05
Sydney - An oil leak was the most likely cause of the mid-air disintegration of a superjumbo engine last month that prompted a global safety review of the world's newest and largest jetliner, investigators said in a preliminary report on Friday.

The Australian investigators also said they found a potentially dangerous manufacturing defect that may still exist in Rolls-Royce engines used by three airlines on their Airbus A380s. Airlines said they were already checking for the new problem.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) released its first report into the blowout that caused a Qantas A380 to make an emergency landing in Singapore on November 4 in what was the most significant safety issue yet for the giant jumbo since it began passenger flights in 2007.

The bureau confirmed earlier suggestions that oil leaking from tubes in a super-hot part of the engine likely caused a fire that eventually caused a heavy turbine disc to fly apart, sending shrapnel slicing through a wing and scattering debris across Indonesia's Batam Island.

The ATSB said it had found a suspected manufacturing flaw in oil tubes in part of the engines and recommended new safety checks for A380s using those engines. Twenty A380s are powered by Trent 900 engines across three airlines - Qantas, Singapore Airlines and Germany's Lufthansa.

The Australian agency, which is leading the international investigation into the Qantas engine breakup, said a section of an oil tube that connects the high-pressure and intermediate-pressure bearing structures of the engine was the danger area.

Responding with action

The problem could lead to "fatigue cracking, oil leakage and potential engine failure from an oil fire", the agency said.

"We are not yet at a stage where we can definitively say that the potential fatigue problem with the oil pipe that has been detected is the cause of what happened over Batam Island," ATSB chief commissioner Martin Dolan told reporters. "But we think it is significant enough as a safety issue in any event that it needed to be identified and safely dealt with."

The ATSB said Rolls-Royce, affected airlines and other safety regulators were responding to the findings with action to ensure the A380s involved were safe.

The agency's report also showed the engine blowout led to a series of electrical and computer system failures that forced the pilots to land the aircraft in difficult conditions. The aircraft's autopilot function disconnected about 305m from the runway, leaving the pilots little choice but to fly the aircraft manually for the rest of the approach.

"The aircraft would not have arrived safely in Singapore without the focus and effective action of the flight crew," Dolan said.

The report detailed a series of system shutdowns that occurred during the incident. After the engine failure, the pilots received a flood of electronic warnings about a series of electrical and computer system failures: The wing slats were inoperative and the aircraft's auto-thrust and auto-land weren't working. There were warning messages about the brakes and landing gear, the engine's anti-ice mechanism, the aircraft's centre of gravity and other systems.

Reverse thrust, which slows the aircraft down on the runway, was only available from one of the four engines. Another message warned the pilot not to apply maximum braking until the aircraft's nosewheel was on the runway.

In those conditions, the crew knew there was a possibility they'd overrun the airport's runway. The autopilot disconnected a couple times during the aircraft's early approach, but a crew member managed to reconnect it.

With just 305m to go, it disconnected again, leaving the pilot little choice but to fly the aircraft manually for the rest of the approach. Still, he landed the aircraft safely, pulling the aircraft to a complete stop less than 150m from the end of the runway.

Directive unchanged

Aircraft using Trent 900 engines underwent extensive checks and modifications to comply with a November 11 directive from the European Aviation Safety Agency that warned of dangerous oil leaks following the Qantas incident.

On Thursday, the agency said it had no immediate plans to change that directive following the ATSB's recommendations.

"We believe the safety of the engines is ensured by our previous airworthiness directive, namely the engine inspections," spokesperson Dominique Fouda said. "But if there are additional findings in the next several days, we reserve the right to change that directive."

Qantas, which grounded its six A380s for 19 days after the blowout, said on Friday it had completed the new checks on one of the two A380s it has returned to service, and had found no problems. The others are still undergoing tests. Singapore Airlines, which has 11 A380s, also said it was conducting new checks of its engines.

Dolan said the European agency had approved plans to upgrade software for the Trent 900 that would shut down an engine if it began to have problems such as those encountered on the stricken Qantas flight.

The ATSB it is still investigating the incident, and it's full report could take a year.

Meanwhile, Qantas said on Thursday it filed a statement of claim in an Australian court that will allow it to pursue possible legal action against Rolls-Royce if it isn't satisfied with a compensation offer from the engine manufacturer.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
Read more on:    singapore airlines  |  rolls-royce  |  qantas  |  air travel

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Rugby World Cup 2015

All the action from the 2015 RWC, including live coverage of all 48 matches, breaking news, fixtures, results, logs - and much more!


Rugby World Cup 2015

UK expert: Boks ‘have KO game’
Ireland hold on to down Italy
As it happened: Ireland 16-9 Italy
All Blacks sympathise with England
Traffic Alerts

Spontaneity is the order of the day. Let go and have some fun. Try not to set too many set plans and expectations and enjoy the...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.