Abusers remain in Australian military – report

2014-11-26 10:23
File: AFP

File: AFP

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Canberra - A government investigation into sexual misconduct, assault and bullying in the Australian military over decades reported Wednesday that more than 1,100 alleged perpetrators remained in the ranks or reserves, some holding senior positions.

The Defence Abuse Response Task Force received 2 400 complaints in the past two years of sexual assault, sexual harassment, physical abuse and bullying in Australia's armed services dating back to the 1940s.

It reported on Wednesday that 594 alleged abusers remained in the permanent defence forces, 204 in the active reserve and 341 in the inactive reserve.

The alleged abusers posed a risk of reoffending, the report said.

Criminal investigation

They also risked "undermining the credibility and confidence in the Australian Defence Force if it became known that individuals responsible for abuse who were not held to account now hold middle or senior management positions and have important leadership roles," it said.

Most victims did not want their allegations referred to police. But among those who did, 80 cases had been referred to state police forces for criminal investigation, the report said.

The Task Force had also referred 40 cases of abuse incriminating 64 serving defence personnel to the defence hierarchy for potential disciplinary action.

A separate report recommended a high-powered inquiry known as a Royal Commission, which can compel witnesses to testify under threat of prison, be held into abuse allegations at the Australian Defence Force Academy, the nation's training school for officers.

The two inquiries followed a scandal at the academy in 2011 in which a male cadet officer secretly filmed himself having sex with a female cadet and transmitted it via Skype to six other student officers.

One male cadet was convicted of committing an act of indecency and two were convicted of using a carriage service in an offensive manner.

Read more on:    australia

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.