Activist sends 'The Interview' DVDs to North Korea despite death threats

2015-04-08 12:15
A poster of "The Interview" during Sony Pictures' release of "The Interview" at the Plaza Theatre on Christmas Day, December 25 2014 in Atlanta, Georgia. (Marcus Ingram, AFP)

A poster of "The Interview" during Sony Pictures' release of "The Interview" at the Plaza Theatre on Christmas Day, December 25 2014 in Atlanta, Georgia. (Marcus Ingram, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Seoul - A North Korean defector living in South Korea said on Wednesday he has launched balloons carrying thousands of copies of the film "The Interview" to North Korea, despite protests from the isolated country and emailed death threats.

North Korea has denounced the Hollywood comedy featuring a fictional plot to assassinate the country's leader Kim Jong Un as an act of war and threatened retaliation if the film was released.

Lee Min-bok, a defector who left the North 20 years ago, said he had sent DVD copies of the film, dollar notes and anti-North leaflets in satchels tied to helium-filled balloons on four occasions, most recently on Saturday.

The launch of leaflets infuriates Pyongyang and has in recent months threatened to scuttle negotiations between the two Koreas. South Korean authorities have urged activists to refrain from launching leaflets on safety grounds, but say they have no legal grounds to stop them.

Lee said he received an email traced to an address in Shenyang, China, which warned his head would be "shattered by the iron club of justice," and his arms "torn to pieces by the dagger of judgment" if he carried out the launches.

"I will keep sending balloons no matter what," Lee told Reuters. The email was being investigated by South Korean authorities, he said.

Computer networks at Sony Pictures, which published the film, were crippled late last year in an attack by hackers who leaked unreleased films, employee data and internal emails.

The United States has said the attack was carried out by North Korea – an allegation Pyongyang denies.

Read more on:    south korea  |  north korea

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.