Afghan defence ministry denies bomb plot

2012-03-28 17:27
Kabul - Afghanistan strongly rejected reports that some soldiers working at the defence ministry were involved in a bomb plot, saying no arrests had been made nor were any vests used for suicide bomb attacks found on the premises.

On Wednesday there was no sign of a hard clamp down on personnel movements at the sprawling ministry with soldiers checking scores of visitors as usual. However, the fast spread of reports of a cache of suicide vests found at the defence ministry on Tuesday illustrates the tense atmosphere in Kabul following a spike in attacks on foreign soldiers by rogue Afghan security forces.

The defence ministry said in a statement that reports on Tuesday about a plot to launch a suicide attack on buses that bring members of the Afghan National Army to the ministry were false.

"We have to say that not only have 16 people not been arrested, nor were 11 suicide vests detained," it said in a statement.

"The scenario about an attack on transportation buses of Afghan National Army is totally imaginary and baseless."

But two security officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said some soldiers who work at the heavily-guarded ministry had been taken into custody for questioning on Tuesday after some suspected suicide bomb vests were found in the parking lot.

One of the officials said the intelligence agencies were investigating a suspected plot involving the hijacking of commuter buses that bring soldiers to the ministry.

He said that six soldiers were detained last week, and following their questioning the suicide vests were found and more arrests were made this week.

"A number of soldiers have been detained," he said.

"There is a turf war going on between the ministry of defence and intelligence department," he added when asked to explain the discrepancy between their stand and the defence ministry.

Increase in attacks

He said intelligence agencies were closely monitoring government departments for possible infiltration by Taliban insurgents, who have been waging a decade-long war against the government and its Western backers.

The rise in so-called insider attacks on foreign forces has stoked fear that either Afghan soldiers and police have turned against their colleagues or the force has been infiltrated by Taliban insurgents.

Three foreign troops, including two Britons, were killed in attacks by Afghan security forces personnel on Monday, taking to 16 the number killed since January.

The increase in these attacks follows the shooting of civilians in Kandahar allegedly by a US soldier, the inadvertent burning of copies of the Koran by US soldiers at the main Nato base and a video of US Marines urinating on the bodies of Afghan Taliban fighters.

The New York Times reported that the defence ministry went into "near-total lockdown" on Tuesday after the vests, which have pouches which suicide bombers pack with explosives for use in attacks, were found inside the ministry.

It said the defence ministry plot was uncovered on Monday and that at least half a dozen unidentified Western and Afghan officials had confirmed the plot.

The building is in one of the most heavily fortified areas of the Afghan capital and is less than a mile from the presidential palace and the headquarters of the Nato-led foreign force in Afghanistan.

"You have to be cautious when you come here. It is not safe here," the newspaper quoted one unidentified Afghan army officer as saying. The officer also said the plotters "have links inside the ministry. Otherwise, they could not enter such a highly secured place".

Last September, insurgents holed up in a partially constructed building in the same area showered the US embassy and Nato headquarters with rocket-propelled grenades and gunfire in an attack lasting more than 20 hours.

Read more on:    afghanistan

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.