Afghan draw down risky: McCain
Washington - A top US lawmaker on Sunday slammed President Barack Obama's military draw down plans for Afghanistan as "risky," unsupported by his military commanders, and a threat to progress made in the last year.
Withdrawal at the rate Obama has planned on - including the draw down of 33 000 surge troops by the end of next summer - would also "undermine the whole effort and sacrifice that has been made ever since this important surge began", Republican Senator John McCain told CNN's State of the Union.
"It's an unnecessary risk, and it's not recommended by any of the military," according to McCain.
Both General David Petraeus and Admiral Mike Mullen, the chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, have said Obama's plan was more "aggressive" than they had recommended.
Obama said late last month that 10 000 troops would leave this year and all 33 000 personnel sent as part of a surge ordered in late 2009 would be home by next summer, leaving a US force of some 65 000.
There are currently up to 150 000 foreign forces in Afghanistan, including about 99 000 from the United States.
Obama has indicated a series of draw downs until Afghan forces assume full security responsibility in 2014.